Interview with Andre Rerekura
If you would like to learn more about spearfishing setups for chasing big Dogtooth Tuna, underwater photography or even the mindset of an experienced watermen, then this episode with Andre Rerekura is for you. Andre is one of the co-founders of Terra Australis, a collaborative between some very talented guys who make films in and on the ocean. In this chat we learn a tonne of hunting insights while meeting a spearo whose mindset has shifted from shooting fish every chance he gets to selecting and taking a fish only when he’s hungry.
Terra Australis TV site and links below!
IN THE NEWS!
- Follow Spearjunkies on Instagram. 12 Part TV series targeting different species around the world
- Audible.com Get 99 Tips To Get Better at Spearfishing audiobook free along with a 30 day trial.
- Spearfishing Kickstarter Campaign – Ending Soon! Check out our book here
- Ocean Photography Workshop. 6 days in Fiji with Andre Rerekura – check it out here!
4:00 Andre’s Background
7:00 Starting out spearfishing in Port Macquarie. Broomstick spearguns and an old classic ‘Tourist’
10:00 Meeting Travis Corken
12:00 Early obstacles. Swell, finding spots and working with local conditions.
15:00 Most memorable spearfishing catches. Dogtooth Tuna 76kgs
- How did you hunt that fish?
- What was your spearfishing setup?
- What are some of the biggest things you’ve learned with equipment setups for big fish?
- What are your thoughts for shot placement on Dogtooth Tuna?
25:00 What is your favorite spearfishing hunting technique?
- Spanish Mackerel or King Mackerel (USA)
- Where do you find them?
- Do you find they behave differently depending on where you are in the water column?
30:00 How has your mindset changed over the years spearfishing?
33:00 What is one of the toughest situations you’ve had out in the ocean?
- Andres SWB rescue guide video
- DANs reporting site for freediving near misses and accidents
- Brisbane Bullsharks freediving squad in Brisbane
45:00 Veterans Vault – Making Underwater Films
- What were some of your early mistakes and takeaways filming?
- What camera and setup do you use?
- What software are you using for editing?
- Do you collaborate with editing?
- Do you have a system for preparing for a video shoot?
64:00 What is the funniest thing you’ve seen out spearfishing?
66:00 What is in your spearfishing equipment bag?
- HECS Stealth Wetsuits
- Octo Masks
- Rubber weight belt
- Special Fins
75:00 Spearo Q&A
- What does the spearfishing experience mean to you in one sentence?
- If you had to start all over again, what would you do differently?
- Who is the best person to go spearfishing with and why?
- If you could only choose one place to go spearfishing, where would you go?
- Who have been the most influential spearos in your journey?
- Whats the single best best piece of advice you’ve ever been given (for spearfishing)?
- If you could go back in time and give yourself some advice, what would you say?
Where can people come and find Terra Australis?
Mentioned in the intro
- Spearjunkies on Instagram
- Audible.com. Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial – Free Audio Version on 99 Tips To Get Better At Spearfishing or a book of your choice
- spearfishing.com.au Easter Sale + NOOBSPEARO code = DOUBLE SAVINGS
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout. Huge savings with their EASTER SALE! Get DOUBLE savings with our CODE and the EASTER SALE
- HECS – Top of the line spearfishing suits incorporating uniquely patented technology to help you get closer to marine life. Listen to our full Q&A with Warren Bird to learn more about the latest in spearfishing innovation.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free here
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
- HowToFreedive.com Use the code noobspearo to save 20%
- Noob Spearo Shirts also available on our Kickstarter campaign – get on it:)
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here