Interview with Anthony Hafoka
Benefits of CO2 training for spearfishing | underwater hockey
- Fitness – better than altitude training
- Lose Weight
- Swimming and Movement in the water
- The Relaxation > Self Control Reflex
- Recovery Breathing
- Finning Exercise
- Increases Red Blood cell count and volume
Anthony joins us from New Zealand to chat about his experiences spearfishing and playing underwater hockey. This chat has some great insights about breathing, specifically surface intervals and recovery breathing. I enjoyed the stories and tips about blackout, training and thinking more seriously about buying a dive watch to help you keep a longer surface interval. If you would like to learn about CO2 training benefits then this is a good listen.
5:00 Anthony Hafoka introduction and background
8:00 Obstacles spearfishing and some of the benefits/strengths he had going into it
9:00 Early mentors and opportunities
11:00 Can you share a story about a memorable spearfishing catch? 2 for 1
13:00 Snapper hunting?
- How did you start successfully targeting them?
- How do you hunt snapper effectively?
- What techniques work consistently?
- How do you burley or chum effectively?
21:00 What is the toughest situation in the ocean you’ve been in?
24:00 Veterans Vault: Benefits of CO2 training for spearfishing
- Greater tolerance to higher levels of CO2 from playing Underwater Hockey and Rugby
- What are physiological benefits of underwater hockey and rugby?
- How do you recovery breathe?
- What are some of the other benefits to playing underwater hockey and rugby?
- What are your insights around surface intervals?
45:00 What is one of the funniest things you’ve seen out spearfishing?
48:00 What is in your spearfishing divebag?
51:00 Spearo Q&A
- Find Anthony on Facebook or Twitter
- Axemen Spearfishing Club
- Auckland University Underwater Club
- Sean Hartley Underwater Hockey – rules, players, equipment and more.
- Divewatch – Suunto D4F mentioned – use the code: NOOBSPEARO to save $20
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com. Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free here
- Spearing Magazine. Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world
- Penetrator Fins. Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here
- HowToFreedive.com Use the code noobspearo to save 20%
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here
- Exclusive spearfishing equipment deals
- The latest blog posts and interviews delivered to your inbox
- 10 Tips To Become A Better Spearo PDF
- Access to our Private Facebook group