Interview with Cris Dillon
Spearfishing hunting techniques for days in this interview. Cris walks us through techniques he has used to successfully hunt Bohar Snapper, Kuta (Spanish Mackerel), and Yellowfin Tuna. In the Veterans Vault Cris shares 9 huge spearfishing tips and at least a few will surprise you. His preparation for this interview was excellent and the information shared is absolutely gold. With several world records, countless spearfishing in exotic locations and his practical South African manner Cris is a real wealth of knowledge and this interview is brilliant.
I have to admit it, I’m spewing I missed this chat with Cris. Due to time and work and pressures I couldn’t make it so yesterday I had a few rum and cokes and listened to Turbo’s first solo interview with Cris and I really enjoyed it. This is a lekker chat with a cool bloke! I sat there taking notes at times as Cris lays out some great insights and tips that he’s learned from countless hours spearfishing, talking and watching legends spear and applying his own research and theories. The things that stood out particularly for me were his breath-up technique, 3 specific species hunting techniques, Bok Koors (Buck fever in Afrikaans) and his passion for the sport. Have a listen!
4:00 Cris’s background and beginnings spearfishing. Stealing his Fathers speargun with his brother and getting into mischief with his love of the water. Underwater hockey, triathlons and Lake Kariba.
7:00 Spearfishing Mentors: Mark Jackson and Adriaan Kriel (AK)
11:00 What changes and improvements did you see when you got more serious about spearfishing in your early 40’s?
Hunting big game on Ascension Island with Cris Dillon! Cris gives some expert hunting advice for yellowfin tuna, Kuta and Bohar Snapper The episode is available now for download on iTunes. This is a great episode with some big fish and great advice. A big thanks to @crisdillon for chatting with me. #spearfishing #ascensionisland #boharsnapper #yellowfin tuna
14:00 What are some of your most memorable spearfishing catches?
The 3 special fish he landed!
- Bluefin Tuna Spearfishing World Record 120 kg
- 115 kg Yellowfin Tuna on Ascension Island
- Word Record Bohar Snapper (Twin Spot) – 12.7kg
The 3 that got away!
- Black Marlin
- Cob in South Africa
21:00 Bluewater Speargun discussion
25:00 Spearfishing Hunting Techniques -avoiding ‘Bok Koors’
- Bohar Snapper Hunting Techniques
- Spearfishing Hunting Techniques for Spanish Mackerel (Kuta or Kingfish)
- Spearfishing Yellowfin Tuna Techniques
37:00 What has been your toughest situation in the ocean?
47:00 Veterans Vault – 9 Top Tips for Spearo’s
- Less is more. Equipment KISS
- Relaxation, breathing cycle and technique
- Buoyancy. How much is right?
- Trophy fish
- Use a belt reel if you dive with a reelgun
- If you get a new mask spend 10 minutes per lens with toothpaste to eliminate fog.
- Carry decongestants
- Always carry a spare weightbelt on the boat > this removes any decision making conflict about dropping it.
- De-tension your rollergun rubbers when you are not using it.
65:00 What is your go-to spearfishing equipment?
Spearfishing Equipment Mentioned
- Alemanni Inverted Roller Speargun – Bluewater Canon
- Riffe Winged Speargun – Bluewater Canon
- Rob Allen Belt Reel
- Rabitech Rubber, Spearguns and Equipment
- Spierre Fins and Salvimar
- HECs Wetsuits
- Elios Wetsuits
- Alchemy Weightbelt
- Omer Alien Mask and Sporasub Snorkel
- SportsTube Travel Case
“Put a hole between your big toe and the rest of your toes to let the water drain out after dives.” – Cris Dillon
75:00 Spearo Q&A
- Could you describe what the spearfishing experience means to you in one sentence?
- If you could go back and give yourself some advice, what advice would you give yourself?
- What current challenges do you face in your spearfishing and how ate you dealing with them?
- Who is the best person to go spearfishing and why?
Mentioned in the Show
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com. Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free here
- Spearing Magazine. Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world
- Penetrator Fins. Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here
- HowToFreedive.com Use the code noobspearo to save 20%
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here
- Exclusive spearfishing equipment deals
- The latest blog posts and interviews delivered to your inbox
- 10 Tips To Become A Better Spearo PDF
- Access to our Private Facebook group