Interview with Australian Spearfishing Champion Ian Puckeridge
This interview with Ian Puckeridge aka ‘Pucko’ has been a longtime goal for Turbo and I. Pucko is a multiple time Australian and New Zealand spearfishing champion as well as representing Australia over a long period of time in international events. With 40+ years spent spearfishing, an 83kg Dogtooth taken with a Pranger, 5m great white encounter in terrible vis and finding thousands of dollars in casino chips in Sydney Harbour this makes for an entertaining and interesting interview.
Noob Spearo is stoked to bring this interview to you in partnership with Adreno
For all your Spearfishing equipment needs go to www.spearfishing.com.au or visit their stores in Brisbane, Sydney and now – Melbourne.
Use the code NOOBSPEARO to take advantage of this exclusive online deal. You get $20 off every purchase over $200, this is a discount code just for listeners of the Noob Spearo Podcast!
Check out Australia’s largest spearfishing range at Adreno Spearfishing Brisbane, Melbourne (coming soon) and Adreno Spearfishing Sydney or shop online
Quick Overview of Ian Puckeridge’s Interview
3:00 Getting started in Bondi, Sydney. Limited instruction, jumping straight in off the rocks.
4:00 Adam Smith underwater hockey connection and becoming interested in spearfishing
5:00 The start of competing in spearfishing competitions and a bit of personal history competing
Paul Reardon Tips from South Australia
8:00 Memorable fish. Losing a 150kg Marlin with a pranger + landing an 83kg Dogtooth Tuna
10:00 Hunting Technique: Swimming up current and locating bait.
14:00 Scary moment: 5m Great White Shark in dirty water. The White Pointer was ‘as round as a car’ and came in after he shot a 15kg (30lb) Yellowtail Kingfish. ‘Looked like a nightmare from the bottom’ he said.
18:00 Ian Puckeridge Veterans Vault – Spearfishing Competitions
Questions we ask Pucko
- What does an Australian Spearfishing Comp look like? What is a common format etc?
- What makes a good comp diver/pair?
- What are some crucial personal traits?
- What are some of the different formats for spearfishing competitions around the world?
- What would you most like to see changed in the spearfishing competition formats?
- What are some good tactics or strategy to follow on a comp day?
- What comp result are you most proud of?
- It looks like your son Aaron is a chip of the old block – do you see him competing like you have for so long and so successfully?
- What is a good setup for young guys just wanting to start in spearfishing competitions?
- What are some good tactics for people starting out in comps?
Some big takeaways
- Scouting the area – knowing what fish will be there on the day
- Planning your drop points
- Knowing the species and relative points associated
- Swim 5-6 km before you start diving some days!
- KISS – Ian’s go to is a 1.3m Railgun single rubber, float and floatline.
- Spearfishing Competition result most proud of – Becoming the 2007 New Zealand Spearfishing Champion.
- Still diving in recent years in the same comp with 70 year old kiwi spearo John Ross
35:00 Funniest Thing: Finding $35,000 casino chips on the floor of Sydney Harbor and ungracious Police
38:00 Divebag: Torelli Gear. 1300mm Speargun, always uses a float and floatline. Penetrator Fins
42:00 Fast 5 Facts For Noobs
- Dont wear too much weight
- Always use a float and flag
- Dont dive deep to get good fish
- Always dive with a buddy
- Be aware of entry and exit points
43:00 San Souci Dolphins in Sydney is Puckos home spearfishing club. It is a great place for guys just starting out, former guest on the show, Simon Trippe is also a member.
Aaron Puckeridge World Record Green Jobfish aka Uku Video