Interview with Jim Russell
Monkey Face Prickle Back state record holder Jim Russell….wait a minute. What? Monkey Face Prickle Back? before we continue this is what they look like.
That’s right Jim Russell from North California joins us and gives us a full orientation to spearfishing in North California. From conditions to species as well as insights into equipment, local clubs and hunting techniques this is a phenomenal chat with a top bloke:)
Jim was super humble when I reached out to him through social media and was very forward about telling me he’s ‘just a weekend warrior’. Well that’s sometimes exactly what we like here at the Noob Spearo and despite Jim’s protests hes a super knowledgeable and experienced spearo with plenty of knowledge that we didnt have before speaking with him. Listen into some bloody good banter about spearfishing in North Cal.
Get in touch with Jim here
- Instagram here
- Youtube spearfishing channel here
- Jackson Kayak Blog here
- Orion Coolers here
- Red Triangle Spearfishing here
As Discussed in the show + some of Jim’s recommendations
- Jim’s spearfishing Kayak here
- Jims Kayak paddle here
- Best Cooler (esky/chilli bin) recommendation for most spearos here
- Check out NorCal’s own superstar spearfishing artist Amadeo Bachar here
- If you dive NorCal, check out NCKA.org here
- The comp Jim helps run called DOTY (Diver Of The Year) can be found here. DOTY is a really fun yearlong comp that challenges divers to target different species all along the NorCal coast, and keep an online log of their personal bests. Some great prizes donated by generous sponsors listed on DOTY site. Proceeds go to our Pay It Forward fund that my buddies and I started in 2010 to help members of the Norcal kayak angling/diving community dealing with cancer, serious illness or tragedy. So far we have raised and donated over $80,000.
- If you are visiting NorCal and looking to dive, post your intro on NCKA or on NorCal Underwater Hunters here
- This online resource here is for pics of all of California Coastline…this tool combined with Google Maps and Navionics App can really help give divers ideas of where to explore:
- Jim’s Viral Vid and Personal best Vermilion here
- Jim’s favorite NorCal Species here
- 3 Online Tools to Help you Find Spearfishing Spots here
Mentioned in Turbo’s Introduction
- SpearGun Making Page on Facebook here
- Stonedem Spearfishing video here
- Spearing Magazine on Insta here
- Adreno Spearfishing on Facebook here
Jim Russell Interview Important Times
6:00 Jim’s intro and his background. Monterey spearfishing!
10:00 Early obstacles. Equipment, clubs and mentors.
15:00 Most memorable fish – Monkey Face Prickle Back spearfishing species
Spearfishing Hunting Technique – Cave Hunting with light
27:00 Abalone Diving in Nor Cal
40:00 Toughest Situation in the ocean
44:00 Veterans Vault: Location in focus – North California
- Diving in kelp. Seasonal variations
- Water temperature and Viz
- Species and techniques
- Locations and equipment
70:00 Funniest Moment + info on Jim’s viral video (3.5 Million views) link above
78:00 What’s in Jim’s Dive Bag? Check out the links above
88:00 Spearo Q&A
This Noob Spearo Podcast episode is proudly brought to you in partnership with …
Use the discount code NOOBSPEARO to save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
Just for listeners of the Noob Spearo Podcast!
Massive stocks of spearfishing equipment, the home of cheap shipping and competitive prices. Head to www.spearfishing.com.au.
Support the Noob Spearo Podcast by shopping with our sponsors!
Visit their stores in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney and get advice from a team of more than 40 underwater experts.
Spearing Magazine – the worlds best spearfishing magazine!
Sharing your spearfishing adventures from all corners of the globe! Learn how to contribute here
Some of the best spearfishing photography, stories and deals available anywhere
Check out the subscription deals here (includes digital delivery)
If you are in Australia/New Zealand/South Africa get the entire back catalog for $60USD – thats 16 magazines! Email [email protected] to get it
Penetrator Fins – Proud partners of the Noob Spearo Podcast
USE the discount code NOOBSPEARO at checkout to save $20:)
$25 International shipping on blades
Full international warranty
Improve your bottom time with penetratorfins.com
or take a look at the Noob Spearo custom designed fins here