Interview with Josh Humbert
Kamoka Pearls, hyperventilation, visualization for spearfishing and even a severe code brown story! This interview with Josh Humbert has a hell of a lot of nuggets in it and not just brown ones. We discuss his early beginnings in the ocean and encountering a complete lack of information which resulted in a near miss that helped him to take his approach to freediving and spearfishing a little differently. I seriously encourage you to listen into an experienced waterman share some hard won tips and insights in this Noob Spearo Podcast interview.
Spearfishing News and Updates
- Spearfishing NSW LOCKOUT: Read more about it here
- STOP the Lockout Group on Facebook here
- Kamoka Pearls Discount Code – perfect gift for the woman in your life. Use the code noob15 to save 15%
- How to cook Squid and Abalone – Underwater Ally Video Guide
- North Shore Underwater Club – Sydney Spearfishing Club for New Divers
- Do the right thing – learn your local rules | Miami Herald story here
- Near miss – blackout rescue and resuscitation | Palm Beach Post story here
- Man shoots himself in the foot – Speargun safety | Story here
- Free Audiobook – 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing audio guide here!
- Spearo Log is available on Amazon!
- 99 Tips Softcover is available on Amazon!
- Indiegogo still have the hardcover/spearo log combo here but if you want to avoid postage!
These spearfishing retailers now have 99 Tips in stock!! (let your retailer know that they should stock it!)
- Adreno Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and now Perth
- Spearfishing Superstore Cairns
- Dive Shop Port Lincoln
Josh Humbert Interview Timestamps
13:00 Josh’s background and early beginnings in the ocean and spearfishing. He caught his first fish at 2 years old!
22:00 Early obstacles – lack of information. Hyperventilating and a near miss
29:45 Most memorable fish
33:05 Portland spearfishing – species, prevailing conditions, issues, and places to go
Hunting technique – bottom time approach on Jacks
49:25 Scariest moment
55:40 Veterans Vault – Visualization for Spearfishing
- What is Visualization?
- How does it apply to spearfishing?
- What are some of the benefits of visualization?
- How do you do it effectively?
- What does your visualization process look like?
- How long do you spend doing this?
66:10 What is funniest moment you’ve had out spearfishing?
70:50 What is in your spearfishing divebag?
72:30 Spearo Q&A – Turbo’s Turds
- What does the spearfishing mean to you in one sentence?
- If you had to start spearfishing all over again, what would you do differently?
- What is the spearfishing destination that you haven’t visited that you would like to?
- If guys are going to dive Tahiti where should they go?
Connect with Josh Humbert @
- On Instagram | Twitter
- Kamoka Pearls use the code noob15 to save 15%
- Josh’s Underwater and surf photography portfolio
A mess of new double band deer leather Archipelago bracelets with outrageous colors. . . . . . #sustainablefashion #jewelryaddict #sustainablepearls #sustainablejewelry #ecojewelry #oceanlovers #mermaidlife #pearljewelry #tahiti #handmade #oneofakind #lovepearls #beautifuljewelry #naturalgemstone #naturalcolor #sustainablelifestyle #tropicallife #tribal #ethicalfashion #sustainableluxury #ethicaljewelry #finejewelry #independentdesigner #fairtrade #fairtradefashion #fairtradejewelry #finepearls #pearllovers #madeintahiti #madeinpdx
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. Email [email protected] for a super deal for downunder spearos (Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here