Interview with Nikki Watt
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie….this interview is terrible. Turbo and Nikki Watt gang up on me and talk Strayan non-stop….nah jokes. This is a very good interview with a super knowledgeable and really good communicator. Nikki Watt is the womans spearfishing world record and Australian record holder for Black Marlin and in this interview she shares her story about their epic one hour batttle. Nikki’s observational skills come through loud and clear in this chat and I learned several things about hunting dogtooth tuna and spearfishing equipment. This was a bloody fun interview but let us know what you think in the comments or even better leave us an honest review!
View this post on Instagram
Victoria has scallops too! And here you get to take them on the yellow snorkel… 😆 Water was a lovely 14 degrees Celsius which was a warm change for some, and a rude shock for others; hey Burko @nicoleburko 😂 Thanks for a great day in the water Bob! #scallop #diving #victoria #melbourne #portphillipbay #travel #dive #polosubaustralia #custom #forzatre #wetsuit #glassout #oceantoplate #haineshunter #australia
Nikki Watt Interview Time Stamps
2:00 Introduction and greeting
5:30 Nikki’s spearfishing beginnings and background
7:45 First fish on the spear
8:50 Early issues – equalizing problems spearfishing
12:35 Early equipment lessons and a funny story about using a fuel line for a snorkel
14:50 Did you have a spearfishing mentor? Unique female struggles
21:40 Memorable fish – 154.9kg Black Marlin the womans world record!
28:25 What is your favourite fish to hunt and what spearfishing hunting techniques do you use to hunt them successfully?
33:50 What is the toughest situation you have experienced in the ocean?
40:00 Veterans Vault – Hunting Pelagic Fish such as Spanish Mackerel, Dogtooth Tuna and Wahoo
View this post on Instagram
The original #sashimi 🍣🍙🍥 I was lucky enough to spear a very delicious #bluefin #tuna in between sight seeing #tasmania recently 🙌🏼 The water wasn’t very clean and the seals made things a bit difficult… especially when they were twice the size of me and also very hungry for tuna!! It went 28.8kg and I think may be a new women’s aussie record #spearfishing #australia #travel #dive #polosubaustralia #aimrite #diveR #chickswhospearfish
53:30 Funniest times spearfishing
54:45 Do you have any advice for women getting into spearfishing?
57:00 What is in your divebag?
61:00 Who is the best person to go spearfishing with and why?
62:55 What spearfishing destination would you like to conquer next?
63:30 What is the single best piece of advice you’ve ever been given for spearfishing?
63:55 Who has been the most influential person in your spearfishing?
Find Nikki on Instagram here
These spearfishing retailers now have 99 Tips in stock!! (let your retailer know that they should stock it!)
- Adreno – Brisbane. 56 Deshon St, Woolloongabba QLD 4102
- Adreno – Melbourne. 1184 Nepean Hwy, Cheltenham VIC 3192
- Adreno – Sydney. 1/678-682 Botany Rd, Alexandria NSW 2015
- Adreno – Perth. 2C / 376 South St, O’Connor, WA, 6163
- Spearfishing Superstore – Cairns. 303-305 Draper St, Parramatta Park QLD 4870
- The Dive Shop – Port Lincoln. 4 S Quay Blvd, Port Lincoln SA 5606
- Frogdive – Willoughby. 539 Willoughby Rd, NSW 2068
- Spear and Fish Downunder – Newcastle. 990 Hunter street. Newcastle, NSW 2302
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. Email [email protected] for a super deal for downunder spearos (Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here