Episode 50! Interview with Peter Saunders
In this chat with Peter Saunders we talk about issues relevant to every spearo such as;
- The broad threats to spearfishing and how spearo’s can make a difference
- What representative bodies such as the USFA and AUF in Australia do for spearfishing
- Easy actions everyone can take to improve our situation as recreational fisherman
Peter shares stories and examples illustrating some of the political moves that have been made in the past to remove, reduce and eliminate spearfishing in various ways from Australia. An active and engaged population of spearo’s who sign petitions, fill out surveys and write letters to their local representatives seems to be our best defense. In recent years proactive spearfisherman have collaborated with government research teams and consultative committee’s in various projects which has led to to improved public perception of spearfishing in general. We have a long way to go though and this chat might just encourage you!
About Peter Saunders
At 57 years old Peter is still competing and achieving enviable results. His parents were spearfishing pioneers in Australia starting in the St George spearfishing club. Peters Mum was a mixed pairs champion with Ron Taylor for many years. At 2 years old Peter was photographed with a bunch of kids at his first spearfishing comp in the 1962 Currawong Cup. His enthusiasm for spearfishing is contagious and his message to spearo’s must be heard!
Learn more about USFA spearfishing clubs here
This Noob Spearo Podcast episode is proudly brought to you in partnership with …
Use the discount code NOOBSPEARO to save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
Just for listeners of the Noob Spearo Podcast!
Comprehensive range of spearfishing equipment, cheap shipping and competitive prices head to www.spearfishing.com.au.
Support the Noob Spearo Podcast by shopping with our sponsors!
Visit their stores in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney and get advice from a team of more than 40 underwater experts.
Speared Apparel Come Aboard!
Creators of some of the best spearfishing apparel in the world, Speared have partnered with us to help bring you this episode.
- NO LUBE! Get out of your old cold suit and into a fleece lined super comfy Speared Novo Suit – find out more here
- USE THE CODE: NOOBERS to SAVE 10% on your order!
Penetrator Fins – Proud partners of the Noob Spearo Podcast
USE the discount code NOOBSPEARO at checkout to save $20:)
$25 International shipping on blades
Full international warranty
or take a look at the Noob Spearo custom designed fins here
Times for Fast Reference
0:00 Big thank you message to you our listeners and all of our previous guests + show update
5:00 Pete Saunders background and introduction
9:00 Mentors and spearfishing equipment
11:00 Memorable Fish
15:00 Spearfishing hunting technique – burley/chum
17:00 Basic effective strategy for competition spearfishing
19:00 Partnering with fisheries management
22:00 Toughest situation in the ocean and what Peter learned from it – shark perseverance
25:00 Veterans Vault – Getting involved and taking action promoting ethical spearfishing
- Getting involved in spearfishing clubs
- Threats to spearfishing
- ‘Green’ science vs real science
- Making your voice heard at a political level. Easy steps
- Big wins that USFA have had in Australian waters
41:00 Funny Moment
43:00 Peter’s Divebag
- DiveR Fins – check them out here and use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $20
- Torelli Spearguns
- Custom wetsuit
45:00 Spearo Q&A – Faster round of questions about everything from best advice to best dive buddy
- Grant Laidlaw – getting involved in citizen science initiatives
- Simon Trippe – spearfishing club culture
- Ian Puckeridge – spearfishing competition strategy