Interview with Tim McDonald
Targeting species spearfishing with Tim McDonald, what a treat! We have a good Q&A session about finding and hunting Barramundi, Pearl Perch and the infamous Green Jobfish that challenge many spearos. There are some hairy stories in here about boating mishaps, sharks, big fish stories as well as some mindset discussion that might help you take your spearfishing to the next level. Listen into this episode with one of Australia’s best spearfisherman, Tim McDonald.
[maxbutton id=”3″ url=”https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/noob-spearo-podcast/id938873281″ text=”Subscribe on iOS” ]
[maxbutton id=”3″ url=”http://subscribeonandroid.com/www.noobspearo.com/feed/podcast/” text=”Subscibe on Android” ]
‘Fan-boy alert‘ – Tim’s been one guy I’ve looked up to since I started spearfishing 6 years ago. He used to feature heavily in the now extinct Spearfishing Downunder Magazine DVD’s, of which I spent countless hours watching. He’s an interesting character that many of you may recognize from a highly popular YouTube video ‘Spearfishing a 138kg Black Marlin’ (vid below). He gets taken for a ride with his reel gun and captures the entire experience on film. When he’s not in the water, Tim serves as a Christian Pastor in the Western Suburbs of Brisbane where he also lives with his family. Funnily enough his son now has the spearfishing bug and has begun slowly usurping many of the Queensland state junior records.
Tim is sponsored by Riffe, a trusted name in the spearfishing world for many years so we also speak a bit about some of his favorite equipment.
Tim McDonald Interview Time Stamps
8:00 Getting started spearfishing
- Where did you get started spearfishing?
- Who was an early mentor?
- What were some of the obstacles you had spearfishing?
- What resources did you have to learn?
15:00 What is one of your most memorable spearfishing catches?
17:00 What was your latest spearfishing adventure to the East Coast USA like?
19:00 What is your favorite spearfishing hunting technique?
24:00 What has been your scariest moment on the ocean?
30:00 Veterans Vault – Targeting Species Spearfishing | Barramundi | Pearl Perch | Green Jobfish
- What are some actionable tips to target each of these species?
- What do you need to understand about the species?
- What are some of your personal bests?
- What are some crucial techniques for hunting each species?
- Where do you find each species?
- What body language do you employ?
- When you have found a good lay on the bottom do you throw sand, rub coral or make noise?
51:00 What is the funniest thing you’ve seen out spearfishing?
57:00 What is in your spearfishing dive bag?
Use the code: NOOBSPEARO at checkout to save $20 on every purchase $200
65:00 Spearo Q&A
- If you had to start all over again, what would you do differently?
- If you could go back in time to when you were just starting what advice would you yourself?
- During your 15 years spearfishing, what is the single biggest thing you’ve learned?
- Who is the single best person to go diving with?
- Could you describe what the spearfishing experience means to you iun one sentence?
Find Tim on Instagram Here
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the discount code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com. Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial. Listen to James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free here
- Spearing Magazine. Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world
- Penetrator Fins. Save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here
Exclusive spearfishing equipment deals
The latest blog posts and interviews delivered to your inbox
10 Tips To Become A Better Spearo PDF
Access to our Private Facebook group
[maxbutton id=”3″ url=”http://www.noobspearo.com/contact-noob-spearo/” text=”Sign Me Up Boys” ]