Get Started Spearfishing Guide
Improve Your Spearfishing Skills with our blog and podcast
If you want to;
- Improve breath-hold
- Learn spearfishing hunting techniques
- Research better techniques for everything from finning to using burley (chum)
- Have a go at using a GoPro for the first time or learn about underwater photography
- Make improvements to your freediving techniques
- Overcome common (and not so common) obstacles
- Prepare better for your next big trip
Then this Get Started Spearfishing Guide might be exactly what you are looking for.
This post contains links to many of our getting started spearfishing guide’s, articles, interviews and more. This guide is updated periodically so it might be a good idea to bookmark it.
Shore diving, diving from a land base. This can include;
- Enclosed non-tidal water diving such as lakes, rivers, etc.
- Calm tidal waters such as harbours, bays, river mouths, estuaries etc.
- Surf prone shore diving (entering and exiting the shore through a surf-zone).
Each of these types of shore dive spearfishing share commonalities. The basics are covered in these articles.
- Shore Dive Spearfishing Part 1, How to plan and prepare, finding people to go with, finding good spots and recon, and more.
- Shore Dive Spearfishing Part 2, The diveday. Entry and Exit planning, spearfishing hunting techniques, equipment and more.
- Three Mistakes I’ve Made Shore Diving, Written by the Armed Snorkeler from N.Z. Provides some great insights into planning for your early diving adventures.
- Three Free Tools To Find New Spearfishing Location. Guest post by Clancy Bowman laying out how he finds new spots to target specific species.
- 101 Shore Dive Spearfishing – [PODCAST] The Rock Hoppers Episode covering all 3 of our beginner spearfishing articles on shore diving.
- Getting out spearfishing on other peoples boats, Do’s & Dont’s. Listen into this audio interview with Trevor Ketchion [PODCAST]
- or this interview with Author of Guide to Getting Started Spearfishing, Doug Peterson. [PODCAST]
- Radio Operators and First Aid Course summary – solid takeaways for spearfishing boaties
- Boating Near Miss (props) and Another Spearfishing Boating Accident story
- The benefits of spearfishing from a boat with Niall Cameron
Blue Water Spearfishing
- Rob Allen talks in depth in his Veterans Vault section about hunting pelagics, check out that post here. [PODCAST]
- Valentine Thomas shares her experiences getting started blue water hunting. Some good insight particularly for first timers here . [PODCAST]
- Chris Coates gives the lowdown on the effective use of burley, flashers and noise in attracting fish. [PODCAST]
- Jaga Crossingham from Freedive Fiji is a Bluewater spearfishing specialist – he has heaps of tips, tricks and guidance for up and comer blue water hunters. [PODCAST]
- Travis Corken from Neptonics Australia joins us for a solid Q&A session talking about Bluewater Spearfishing Equipment. [PODCAST]
- How to Find and Hunt Spanish Mackerel has lots of general advice for blue water hunting.
Getting Started Spearfishing Guide’s to Common Issues
- 101 Overcoming common spearfishing obstacles
- Seasickness + Seasickness prevention podcast
- Breathhold [Video Guides]
- Equipment Maintainance [Video Guides]
- 101 Buddy Protocol. Podcast episode covering dive buddy essential practice
Freediving, Training and Breath Hold Information
- 101 Freediving for Spearfishing [PODCAST- Improve your breathhold and more]
- Equalizing (Podcast interview with Ted Harty!)
- Dealing with pressure
- Shallow Water Blackout and FAQ about Freediving Courses with Andrew Quincoses [PODCAST]
- Whats happening to my body when spearfishing at 20 Metres or 65Ft?
- Spearfishing and Lung Squeezes
- Training for Spearfishing and this post has a summary of an 8 week program Wayne Judge runs in Brisbane
- 6 Actionable Tips to Improve Your Bottom Time – if you want to spend longer on the bottom and increase your dive time then there’s at least one tip in here for you!
- Underwater Hockey, a training tool for spearfishing [PODCAST]
- Spearfishing Deep with Brandon Hendrickson Blog
- Erez Beatus | Why Every Spearo Should Do A Freediving Course [PODCAST]
- Spearfishing Fins. Turbos recommendations for spearfishing fins.
- Spearfishing Equipment Veterans Vault (ff to 46 minute mark). [PODCAST] Speargun rubber (reactive vs progressive), tuning a flopper, roller spearguns, dyneema vs monofilament + more
- A Different Perspective on Pole Spears
- Spearfishing equipment maintenance with Travis Corken from Neptonics Australia
- Guide to picking the right Mask and Snorkel for Spearfishing
- 101 Beginner Spearfishing Setup. From your speargun to the float, what you need to know getting started spearfishing
- Pneumatic Spearguns with Grant Laidlaw. Fairly comprehensive veterans vault covering all the pro’s and con’s of these poorly understood spearguns.
DIY Spearfishing Equipment
- Building Spearguns with Daniel Mann [PODCAST]
- Roller Spearguns First Impressions (Part 1) – Overcoming the common issues with changing from the conventional Speargun to a Roller
- Roller Spearguns First Impressions (Part 2) – Tips, technique and the advantages of the Roller Speargun
- DIY Roller Speargun Conversion Guide – video along with step by step instructions.
- Interview With Emanuel Bova founder of MannySub, the company to introduce the Roller Speargun to many countries [PODCAST]
Targeting Species in Spearfishing
- Month of Mackerel Comprehensive Guide with interviews, articles and more.
- Learning and mastering a species in Spearfishing with 7x New Zealand champion Dwayne Herbert [PODCAST]
- Mulloway Masterclass, hunting the infamous Jewfish with Louie Van Senden [PODCAST]
- Snapper Snooping with Luke Potts [PODCAST]
- White Mussel Cracker with Niall Cameron [PODCAST]
- Striped Bass with David Hochman [PODCAST]
- Barramundi, Pearl Perch and Green Jobfish with Tim McDonald [PODCAST]
- Nor California Species with Jim Russell [PODCAST]
- Targeting Ling Cod Blog
- Targeting Green Jobfish Blog
- Targeting Barramundi Blog
- Targeting Pearl Perch Blog
- Targeting Striped Bass Blog
- Targeting Pelagic species like Wahoo, Dogtooth Tuna and Yellowfin Tuna Blog
- Targeting Blackspot Tuskfish Blog
- GoPro Masterclass with Aaron Chasse [PODCAST]
- Underwater Videographer Richard Leonard – Behind the lens with OneFish Legends Film Maker
- Underwater Photography Fundamentals + GoPro Tips and Advice [PODCAST] Interview with Jessie Cripps and Michael Takach, the Underwater Ally Productions duo
- 101 GoPro for Spearfishing – tips, tricks, wisdom and more for the aspiring GoPro user
- 101 Drones for Spearfishing and adventure sports photography
- Jose Debasa. Editing your films, B-roll footage, adding titles, finding royalty free music
Spearfishing Trips and Travel
- Improving Your Next Spearfishing Trip
- Preparing for Your Next Spearfishing Trip
- Preparing for a Spearfishing Charter [PODCAST] Interview with spearfishing guide and Freedive Fiji Charter operator Jaga Crossingham
- Kimi Werner, the global spearfishing vagabond. Listen in and heear her adventures and tips
- Adventureman Dan. World spearfishing adventure for under 20k in over one year. Tips for airlines, find ing buddies and getting on boats
- Sebastian Kramer Spearfishing remote areas. Reconaissaince, planning and getting by in tyhe face of adversity.
Spearfishing Tips and Wisdom
- Essential Tips for Starting Out
- 6 Tips to Go Spearfishing More
- 5 Tips To Improve Your Spearfishing
- 101 Spearfishing Beginner Setup [PODCAST]
- 99 Tips To Get Better At Spearfishing [E-Book]
Ciguatera Poisoning and Spearfishing
Crocs, Sharks and other scary stuff
- Spearfishing with Sharks story and some insights, interview with Kimi Werner
- 101 Spearfishing with Crocodiles – stories and advice from 2 crocodile attack victims [PODCAST]
- A Guide To Spearfishing with Crocodiles
- Dirty water spearfishing with Rick Trippe (Darwin spearfishing)
- 101 Spearfishing with Sharks
Caring for your catch + Fish Recipes for the aspiring spearo chef
- Moroccan Kingfish Recipe
- Ike Jime – the smart way to dispatch your spearfishing quarry
- 101 Caring for your Catch. From the ocean to the plate and everything in between for spearo’s
- Paua Gyoza or Abalone Dumplings
Spearfishing Competitions. Strategy, tips and more
- Introduction and Advice to Competition Spearfishing with Ian Puckeridge 7x Australian Spearfishing Champion [PODCAST]
- Dwayne Herbert, multiple New Zealand and Australian Spearfishing Champion
- Peter Saunders. USFA President provides a really practical strategy for sttarting out in competitions
- Kevin Daly UK Spearfishing Champion gives some practical strategies [PODCAST]
Spearfishing World Records
- Spanish Mackerel Spearfishing World Records
- Cameron Kirkconnell multiple spearfishing world record holder
- Nat Davey Yellowtail Kingfish World Record Holder (includes some tips on claiming your own records!)
- Spearfishing: How To Get Started, by Doug Peterson Review
- Last of the Blue Water Hunters by Carlos Eyles
- Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science and What the Ocean Tells us About Ourselves by James Nestor
- Interview with James Nestor – oceanic journalist
- Freshwater Spearfishing [PODCAST] with Rob Gates from Zimbabwe and Lake Kariba
- Spearfishing around Man-Made structure (Oil Rigs, Wharves, Jetties and Wrecks) in this interview with Texas Spearo Ben Choi [PODCAST]
- Commercial Diving | Interview with Pat Swanson a veteran New Zealand commercial fisherman
Our Spearfishing Adventures
- The Free Freedivers and a long trip home – Moreton Island Spearfishing
- Taranaki Spearfishing – Feeding a wedding reception!
For even more actionable tips and information get your hands on ’99 Tips To Get Better At Spearfishing’. Its available on Amazon here.
99 Tips To Get Better at Spearfishing contains some of the best information we have discovered from interviews with more than 40 spearfishing experts from around the world. Buy your copy here
- Leave us a comment about your biggest obstacle starting out spearfishing!
- Subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast the ultimate Get Started Spearfishing Guide