Live Interview with Ben Eckert, Adriana Barnes & Trevor Ketchion at Adreno Brisbane
Today’s interview is live from Adreno Brisbane and is with Ben Eckert, Adriana Barnes & Trevor Ketchion and we talk all things freediving safety as it relates to spearfishing! Today we get a masterclass from 3 people with a wealth of knowledge and are horribly overqualified on this subject. Staying safe in the water, how to be a good boaty and keep your buddies safe. What should be inside your first aid kit? Should you contact your local coast guard or sea rescue when you go out? Tips on how to stop bleeding, keep your buddies safe and save your friend’s life. An essential set of skills, leave any questions you have in the comments!
- 00:13 Intro
- 04:50 Hello and welcome to the show!
- 05:40 Welcome Ben! You are quite an accomplished freediver!
- 06:20 Brisbane Bullsharks, what makes them unique for spearos?
- 08:30 Common mistakes that you see on spearfishing boats
- 10:05 A good buddy system
- 11:05 When should you draw the line and stop diving? When has your body had enough?
- 13:00 Samba/hypoxic event
- 14:05 Your role as a skipper and making hard calls
- 17:55 How can people connect with the Brisbane Bullsharks?
- 19:30 Q&A for Ben: peeing in your wetsuit, nutrition and hydration for spearfishing and when to draw the line
- 26:05 Adriana Barnes, you are a paramedic and a really accomplished speafisher
- 29:30 What can spearos do to get better at safer diving?
- 31:40 We can’t normalize blackouts or LMC’s
- 35:40 Trauma while out at sea, what now?
- 38:30 How to use a tourniquet
- 44:00 What should be in our first aid kits for spearfishing?
- 49:45 Q&A for Adriana: critical info to keep track of, getting dragged to the bottom by a massive Kingy, blood type and signs to stop diving for the day
- 01:02:20 Trevor! Tell us about boating safety: when is it not safe to go out?
- 01:03:50 Checking in with the VMR or Coast Guard
- 01:07:00 How do you predict the weather for boating?
- 01:09:20 Easy shortcuts for reading the weather: swell and wind
- 01:10:30 Which apps do you use?
- 01:12:15 How do you operate a boat?
- 01:17:20 Activating an EPIRB
- 01:19:45 3 things to teach a new boaty
- 01:22:00 Q&A for Trevor: How far to stay from your divers, leaving the engine on or off, difficult decisions and conversations, VMR and EPIRBS and vessel sizes
- 01:29:30 Trevor’s 9 Mile experience getting lost at sea
- 01:33:35 Anchoring
- 01:40:00 Shrek’s closing thoughts
- 01:40:50 Outro and Noober Stories!
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- Brisbane Bullsharks Facebook group
- @BrisbaneBullsharks on Instagram
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing