Interview with Adventureman Dan Byrne
Interview with a young American bloke traveling the world spearfishing. This interview comes from a listener request (James Fisher) and Dan was good enough to join us over skype while he was in South Africa. This episode is jam packed with Dan’s stories, adventures and tips for guys and girls interested in taking off on a traveling and spearfishing adventure.
Originally from up-state New York Dan began his spearfishing journey in Monterey, California. His stories about chasing reef fish in the huge kelp forests give us all some insight into his early experiences. Listen into this interview with a natural storyteller and genuinely nice bloke!
This Noob Spearo Podcast episode is proudly brought to you in partnership with …
Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
Just for listeners of the Noob Spearo Podcast!
Comprehensive range of spearfishing equipment, cheap shipping and competitive prices head to www.spearfishing.com.au.
Support the Noob Spearo Podcast by shopping with our sponsors!
Visit their stores in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney and get advice from a team of more than 40 underwater experts.
Speared Apparel Come Aboard!
Creators of some of the best spearfishing apparel in the world, Speared have partnered with us to help bring you this episode.
Check out the NOVO wetsuit as discussed in the show
NO LUBE! Get out of your old cold suit and into a fleece lined super comfy Speared Novo Suit – find out more here
USE THE CODE: NOOBERS to SAVE 10% on your order!
Penetrator Fins – Proud partners of the Noob Spearo Podcast
USE the code NOOBSPEARO at checkout to save $20:)
$25 International shipping on blades
Full international warranty
or take a look at the Noob Spearo custom designed fins here
Time Stamps in Dan Byrne’s interview
Interview starts off with the usual banter, latest book review and some news before we kick on and hear about Dans journey into spearfishing.
11:50 Early Obstacles – learning the species.
13:30 Spearfishing from a kayak and a cracker Ling Cod
18:00 Cave diving and a few tricks
25:00 Dans favorite spearfishing hunting technique
Mentioned was this video – spearfishing New Zealand part 2
NZ SPEARO FORUM Facebook Page here
35:00 Spearfishing travel stories. Starting in New Zealand then Australia’s East Coast followed by the West Coast. Following this he chats about his South African spearfishing experience. These stories give you some good snap shots into all of these locations and some of the characters Adventureman Dan has had the privilege of spearfishing with.
61:00 Veterans Vault – Spearfishing Travel
Questions we ask Dan
- When you are flying into different countries, what equipment do you travel with and what do you replace when you get there?
- How are you carrying your speargun and longer items? SportsTube link here. Hand Grenade Dive weights here, First Aid Kit here
- We discuss airlines (good and bad ones). How to declare your equipment.
- What equipment can be helpful and what Dan considers crucial.
- How did you go about networking with spearos in different countries?
- Dan also lays out his own budget/money technique for traveling around the world on the cheap.
- How to be a good bloke on boats and build good relationships.
76:00 Fast 5 Facts For Noobs
- Listen to Noob Spearo Podcast.
- Just get out there – do a road trip and find your own spots.
- Have a dive knife accessible on your hips.
- Always try something new, challenge yourself.
- Mentally prepare for your dives with visualization
90:00 Dan’s Call To Action!
Dan is planning a West Coast spearfishing tour of the USA starting in Alaska and he would like a travel buddy! He’s planning on getting an R.V or caravan and heading south from Alaska for a 4-5 month trip of a lifetime. Get into contact with him here!
If you enjoyed this interview please leave us an honest review wherever you listen!
For people interested in spearfishing travel listen to Freedive Fiji Spearfishing Guide Jaga Crossingham or Hawaii based speara vagabond Kimi Werner as they share wisdom and tips from their own experiences.
Thank for listening:)