Interview with Alistair Cooke
Central Coast Veteran Spearo Alistair (Alby) Cooke lays out some diamonds in this chat. We talk hunting techniques for bluewater, attitudes to equipment (+ saving money on some items), getting lost at sea and the worst octopus ever cooked by a spearo. This ones got plenty of nuggets throughout! Listen in.
A bit more about Alby (from a CCS member);
- Former Club President of the Central Coast Sealions (CCS)
- Coffs Harbour Blue Water Classic Winner (2016 or 2017??)
- Competitive spearo, freedive competitor and instructor
- Well-traveled spearo who has dived all over the world from the USA, Mexico, NZ, Coral Sea and all over Oz
- He also makes an incredible effort for the Juniors in the Club and often sacrifices his own ability to get good fish in a comp to chaperone new divers and juniors around to teach them safely how to dive
Quick Interview Times Guide
03:45 Alby Introduction. Spearfishing background and the Central Coast Sealions
09:30 Early Obstacles | Equipment and Prioritizing the Important Stuff
15:00 Finding good ground for spearfishing
19:20 From humble beginnings to winning competitions: The Secret!
- Burley (Chum)
- Body Language
35:00 Most Memorable Fish Taken
43:30 What is one of the toughest situations you have had out on the ocean and what did you learn from it?
54:00 Veterans Vault: How to Take Noobs Diving
72:50 Funniest Moment
77:00 Alistair Cooke Divebag | Deluxe chat on Spearfishing Equipment
87:00 Spearo Q&A
Central Coast Sealions Club (find more spearfishing clubs here)
- Name of club: Central Coast Sealions Club
- Location: Breakers Country Club, Dover Road Wamberal (Meetings 4th Thursday of every Month at 7:30pm)
- Contact details: Facebook
- Size: 30-40 Active Members
- Summary of club activity: The Sealions are a very sociable club and participate is a large range of fun and social activities with about 30-40 active members. Whether you are new to Spearfishing or snorkelling we would be happy to show you how to dive and spearfish safely. We also host one of the oldest spearfishing competitions in Australia, the Annual Canada Cup out of Terrigal every February as well as monthly Club competitions. We offer Social Memberships for those who are more interested in the social aspect of diving.
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world.
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a freediver. Learn the proven strategies competitive freedivers use to strengthen their performance.
Equalization Masterclass. If you are freediver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to Valsalva and hello to Frenzal and make equalizing easy.
Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
Free online courses – How to take a 20-30% bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.