Live Interview with Michael Heitzmann & Ben Eckert
Today’s live interview is with Michael Heitzmann & Ben Eckert of the Brisbane Bullsharks! We talk all things Brisbane spearfishing, gear and training! Both are extremely talented divers in their own right, tonight we host a live interview and Q&A at the Brisbane Bullsharks pool! Loads of info about Brisbane spearfishing, spearing Kingfish, choosing and using gear, dealing with sharks, finding spots and so much more! Which speargun should you get? What’s the best way to load it? How do you handle it underwater? Another in our series of live interviews, we hope you enjoy it and hope you learned something! If you have any more questions for Shrek, Michael or Ben, put them in the comments!
Check out the club and get involved through their facebook group!
- 00:13 Intro
- 03:10 Welcome!
- 04:20 Thanks for having us Michael! What are we doing tonight?
- 06:05 Hello Ben! How are you involved with the Brisbane Bullsharks?
- 07:25 Shrek’s spearfishing story.
- 09:22 Michael, how did you start spearfishing?
- 13:10 Ben, how did you start?
- 16:00 Boat diving is big here, the Bullsharks have influenced spearfishing culture in a big way. How to be a bad guest.
- 23:15 Shrek took Michael out on his first boat dive! Be brave and tell your buddies when you’re not comfortable!
- 25:35 Kingfish spearfishing tips.
- 27:10 Deep diving.
- 29:00 Let’s talk gear! Spearguns! What are they, how do they work and what should I get?
- 34:15 A float line is your friend!
- 36:15 What are the advantages for a shorter or longer speargun?
- 37:15 Pool training for spearfishing!
- 40:00 Diving without your speargun and in marine reserves is hugely helpful!
- 41:15 Safety while spearfishing – shallow water blackout.
- 49:05 Good buddy diving is more worth it than you think! A simple way to do it better.
- 50:55 Diving with too much weight. How much do I need?
- 55:05 Q&A from the audience!
- 55:30 Float recommendations for a Noob Spearo
- 57:00 How do you handle your gun on the bottom? What do you do with it?
- 01:00:10 How do you find spots? Google Earth and Navionics
- 01:04:40 Warm up for spearfishing, how do you warm up your diving?
- 01:07:40 Dealing with sharks: what do you do when you see sharks? When do you get out?
- 01:11:00 Double bands: which do you load first?
- 01:13:00 How do you investigate a headland without spooking fish?
- 01:14:10 Closing thoughts
- 01:15:45 Outro
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- Brisbane Bullsharks Facebook group
- @BrisbaneBullsharks on Instagram
- @Michael_Heitzmann on Instagram
- @Ben.Eckert on Instagram
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing