Interview with Eric Keener
Catch and Cook Spearfishing Comps | Gyotaku
Mentioned in the Show
- Bamboo Reef Spearfishing and Freediving Store in Monterey | Freedive Classes available
- North California Underwater Hunters Spearfishing Forum
- Spearboard | DeeperBlue Spearfishing Forums
- Rubbish Spearos
- Tweed Spearfishing Club
Episode Time Stamps
05:30 Eric Keener Introduction. Early mistakes and starting speafishing
11:00 Catch and Cook Competition | Competitions that Promote and Encourage Sustainable Mindsets
- Background and Concept
- Rules and Competition Layout
- Teams or solo?
- Contact Monterey Bay Spearfishing on Facebook to learn more
29:25 Urchin Removal and the Watermans Alliance
- Purple Urchin imbalance and background information
- Past successful events
- How an event is coordinated and how each diver contributes
- Learn about upcoming events at watermansalliance.com here
39:00 Gyotaku | Fish Rock Impression Art
Gyotaku is a form of art that many spearos try as it captures the texture and size of a fish. It’s basically printing a fish onto paper using the fish as the printing plate.
View this post on Instagram
(Work in progress) Trying to knock out the orders before #fathersday, get in quick and get #dad the perfect #gift. Head on over to @underwaterallyoceanart and pick something before it’s too late! #Australian #snapper #gyotaku #fishprint #pagrusauratus Stock and time is limited.
47:00 Fish recipe Discussion:
- Lingcod Fillets over a mushroom and almond risotto
- Trigger Fish 3-Ways
- Fillet topped Lobster Tail and Seared Scallops
- Cilantro Sashimi + Honey Glazed Mahi Mahi Mango Salsa
- Halibut, Ricotta Ravioli and Flat Bread
- Summer Sauce for White Fish
- Lingcod, Spanish Rice and Mango Salsa
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a super deal for downunder spearos (Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
- 28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a freediver. Learn the proven strategies competitive freedivers use to strengthen their performance.
- Make you equalization problems a thing of the past. If you are freediver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. I’ve taught over 500 people to equalize for freediving via my one on one Skype sessions. I’ve taken that method and turning in into an online course with over 14 videos discussing every equalization problem I’ve ever encountered.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30 bigger breath and learn how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
- View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here
Join the Noob Spearo Community on Facebook
Support Noob Spearo on Patreon!