Interview with Devin O’Dea and Eric Keener
Today’s interview is with Eric O’dea of the Backcountry Hunters (BHA) and Anglers and Eric Keener of Fin and Forage! We chat everything 30/30, MPA’s, conservation, hunting and how they all connect. We also have a great chat about the upcoming Catch and Cook comp with Fin and Forage, the BHA and Messermeister. A spearfishing competition mixed in with masterchef with a beach cleanup and urchin culling event with prizes for each different category, this is a great idea and we can’t wait to see this comp happen! You can visit this link to find out more!
Follow Fin and Forage on Instagram and YouTube to get all the latest content they make and hear all the news about this comp!
- 00:13 Intro
- 03:25 Hello and welcome Devin and Eric!
- 05:30 The Backcountry Hunters and Anglers: what is it and why is it important?
- 08:00 Hunter and conservationist
- 12:10 Growing up with deer in your garden
- 14:25 Eric Keener from Fin and Forage, reintroduce yourself!
- 18:50 30/30: What is it all about?
- 21:50 What happened in NSW?
- 26:35 What is your advice to the everyday spearo?
- 30:35 Citizen science: iNaturalist and how to get involved
- 36:25 Food changes mindsets and perceptions
- 41:15 The Catch and Cook Comp! Tell us all about it!
- 43:25 Beach cleanup prizes
- 47:00 What are you doing with the urchins you’re collecting?
- 51:00 Who are the legends that made this possible? Fin and Forage team, Ryan Gentry, @CutProfessor
- 52:00 Lots of big sponsors and massive prizes!
- 53:10 The infamous Valentine Thomas story!
- 58:55 Was your trip succesful?
- 01:00:25 Devin, do you and Eric ever dive together?
- 01:01:25 The most fun you can have with your spearfishing friends
- 01:02:30 “I don’t regard nature as a spectator sport” Discuss!
- 01:05:20 Belonging in a place you don’t belong
- 01:06:25 Go to FinandForage.com and on Instagram to find out more about the competition!
- 01:09:35 Outro
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- Fin and Forage Catch and Cook comp
- Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
- Fin and Forage on Instagram
- Backcountry Hunters and Anglers on Instagram
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing