Interview with Justin Baker
Fort Pierce Fireman Justin Baker joins me for one heck of a chat. There is a full-on conversation about hunting specific reef species and there are plenty of tips and ideas for you to try out and improve your own spearfishing skills.We also focus in on Fort Pierce as a spearfishing desitination and I ask him all about conditions, species, and how spearos roll in his part of Florida. Listen in and let us know what your biggest takeaway is!
Listen & subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Castbox | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Podbean
Justin Baker is the fourth SpearHead we have had the pleasure of interviewing (Jose Debasa, Aaron Chasse & Andrew Quincoses have all been on the show). These guys have an extremely cool YouTube Channel called SpearHeads TV so check it out and subscribe.
4:30 Justin Introduction. Sponsors SubSea Spearguns, Saltlife, Speared Apparel (past), Frontlne Freediving, Speared Magazine, Neuretic PoleSpears, Sharkshield.
7:00 Surfing and snorkelling from a young age and his spearfishing origins
11:00 First mega stoke fish on the spear – Mangrove Snapper
15:00 Looking fish in the eye and relaxation
18:00 Figuring fish out. Seeing, identifying, planning an approach/method for attracting them. Tricks and ideas for targeting difficult species
29:55 Mid-Handle Speargun – Justins chosen weapon of death
36:00 Scariest moment spearfishing and what he learned from it. Spearfishing SpearHeads TV Blackout Video
44:00 Veterans Vault: Fort Pierce Spearfishing
- What is the bottom and structure like?
- What species do you commonly target?
- What species are great for noobs to target?
- Can you spearfish?
- What is the vis like?
- Ripcharts App for weather
- How do guys start spearfishing in the area?
- Lobster hunting techniques
61:00 Funniest moment out spearfishing (Subscribe to SpearHeadsTV on YouTube here)
63:00 What is in your divebag?
66:00 Find Justin on Facebook | Instagram
These spearfishing retailers now have 99 Tips in stock!!
Australian Spearfishing Retail Stores
- Adreno – Brisbane. 56 Deshon St, Woolloongabba QLD 4102
- Adreno – Melbourne. 1184 Nepean Hwy, Cheltenham VIC 3192
- Adreno – Sydney. 1/678-682 Botany Rd, Alexandria NSW 2015
- Adreno – Perth. 2C / 376 South St, O’Connor, WA, 6163
- Spearfishing Superstore – Cairns. 303-305 Draper St, Parramatta Park QLD 4870
- The Dive Shop – Port Lincoln. 4 S Quay Blvd, Port Lincoln SA 5606
- Frogdive – Willoughby. 539 Willoughby Rd, NSW 2068
- Spear and Fish Downunder – Newcastle. 990 Hunter street. Newcastle, NSW 2302
- Spear West – 2/1 Baden Street, Osborne Park. Western Australia. 6017
- Extreme Spearfishing – 1/539 Pitwater Road Brookevale, Sydney NSW 2100
USA Spearfishing Retail Stores
- The Dive Source – Florida 16 #2, 3721, St Augustine, Florida
- Oregon Freediving Company – Oregon City 919 7th St, Oregon
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. Email [email protected] for a super deal for downunder spearos (Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here
Join the Noob Spearo Community on Facebook
Support Noob Spearo on Patreon!