Interview with Francisco Loffredi
Today’s interview is with Francisco Loffredi from Rio De Janeiro! A life time in the water and a culture that celebrates spearfishing has shaped Francisco and the way he dives today, from his early days being a commercial spearfisherman to his development into competition and trophy spearfishing, we chat about the reasons that he’s changed his approach, how competition and sport fishing can actually help keep the sea healthy and some of the hilarious stories he’s had a long the way! An absolute legend with the consistent spearfishing performance to back it up, you are going to learn a lot from him! If you speak Portuguese then check out his podcast: Sangue No Convés! We chat everything from diving super deep to spearfishing super shallow, how to land big fish and the in’s and out’s of commercial spearfishing. Thanks for being on the show mate!
- 00:13 Intro
- 08:45 Welcome Francisco from Brazil!
- 10:15 Tell us about spearfishing in Rio de Janeiro
- 12:35 Trophy spearfishing and your approach to spearfishing
- 14:30 Shooting from the hip, being prepared when the opportunity arrives.
- 16:50 Headshots and penetration – how and when to perform a proper headshot
- 25:05 What are the prevailing currents?
- 27:00 Spearfishing deeper than 30m
- 32:40 Hunting extremely shallow
- 34:20 Cheating and nefarious behavior for competitions
- 29:55 Spearfishing and diving with your son
- 39:40 What is the Rio spearfishing culture?
- 41:30 Confronting the spearfishing ignorance in the public: facts vs narrative
- 46:55 Debating anti-fishing people, sport fishing could be the answer
- 52:15 Seaspiracy review
- 54:05 Cagarras marine park
- 57:55 Most fish are good to eat, tell the story of fishing
- 01:00:40 Hired by a top restaurant in Rio
- 01:06:30 Seafood is a huge passion for you, what are some memorable recipes?
- 01:13:45 Your favourite species to hunt and how to hunt Grouper
- 01:16:35 Do you have problems with sharks in Rio?
- 01:18:40 Tough or scary situation
- 01:24:00 What dive gear is in your bag? Tell us about your Cressi gear!
- 01:28:45 What other Brazilian dive gear do you use?
- 01:30:25 Spearo Q&A
- 01:39:45 Closing thoughts
- 01:41:45 Outro
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- Francisco’s Podcast: Sangue No Convés!
- @franciscoloffredi on Instagram
- His YouTube channel: Francisco Loffredi
- Grab a hardcover copy of 99 Spearo Recipes
- Noob Spearo Facebook Community
- Noob Spearo Instagram
- Noob Spearo YouTube Channel
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- Aqualyte Hydration | 10% off for listeners with code: NOOBSPEARO | www.aqualyte.com.au/
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out the legendary SeaSac HERE