Interview with Trevor Ketchion
Trevor Ketchion from Submerged Psychos and Shrek team up to present a guide to spearfishing Southern Queensland including the Gold Coast, Northern NSW coastline, Sunny Coast and the lack of Brisbane shore-based spearfishing locations. Beforehand Shrek unveils 5-6 accessories crucial for GoPro users:)
Listen & subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Castbox | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Podbean
GoPro Accessories for Spearfishing (Amazon Affiliate Links)
- GoPro Hero Black 7
- External Hard Drive (I bought one like this)
- PC with an epic videocard
- Extra Batteries
- Battery Charger
- SD Cards | SanDisk Extreme Pro microSDXC (64GB)
- Head Strap Mount on Amazon | Mako Chinstrap (Headstrap) made for spearfishing
- Tray Mount
If I missed anything or you have alt suggestions, chuck em in the comments!
Queensland Spearfishing Topics Include;
🐟 5-6 species to target in Queensland waters when starting out;
- Luderick Species | Drummer
- Bream and Tarwhine
Grants Guide to Fish Book!
🌏 Popular locations (legal)
- Sunshine Coast: Point Arkwright
- Gold Coast/ Northern NSW: Kingscliff
- Brisbane | Offshore Moreton and North Stradbroke Island
How to find spearfishing spots (blogpost)
💁 Where to find more information
- Tweed Gold Coast Freedivers Club
- Southern QLD Spearfishing Facebook Group
- Fisheries Department Qld
- Australian Underwater Federation Queensland
🌞 Good weather and conditions for spearfishing
- Less than 1m swell
- High Tide (an hour or two before until 30 minutes past will generally hold the cleanest water)
- Avoid prolonged Easterly and Northerly winds as these make the water dirty
- Apps and Websites | BOM | Willyweather | SeaBreeze |
🧜 Noob Spearo Community questions
Noob Spearo Community on Facebook
- Rubbish Spearos on Facebook
- Submerged Psychos on YouTube | Facebook
- Guide to Shore Dive Spearfishing (Part 1)
- Grants Guide to Fish
- Spearo Log
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world.
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a freediver. Learn the proven strategies competitive freedivers use to strengthen their performance.
Equalization Masterclass. If you are freediver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to Valsalva and hello to Frenzal and make equalizing easy.
Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
Free online courses – How to take a 20-30% bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.
can i spearfish on open beaches in qld ? i know in nsw its 20mtrs from rocks max
G’day Guy, yes you can however pay attention to specific places and their rules. Headlands and off shore reef are two staples for shore dive spearfishing. In QLD it’s the enclosed waters that are generally off limits for spearfishing.