Interview with James Beckman @southernspearfishing
Hunting Southern Bluefin Tuna
The episode covers the equipment, techniques, mindset, buddy system and personal lessons learned by an avid Southern Bluefin Tuna chaser. James Beckman @southernspearfishing is one of Melbourne’s local legends and as such, I organized an interview with him live in the Adreno Melbourne Store (thanks to legend Patrons for funding the trip!). Along with the SBT chat I discover stories and insights from James’s life spearfishing.
Big thanks to James for taking me out for a day spearfishing and harvesting scallops in Port Phillip Bay:) Jetski spearfishing is pretty fun!
5:00 James Beckman introduction and spearfishing background. Chasing small fish in the shallows, calamari and discovering the stoke.
10:00 Early struggles spearfishing.
- Overcoming loading challenges.
- Selecting a correct length speargun.
- Meeting mentors, dive buddies and finding a community.
- How to get out on boats. Rules, etiquette basics and paying
19:00 Most memorable catch. WA Dhufish (20+kg)
21:45 Scariest moments in the ocean. Surge hunting on the back beaches of Melbourne
33:20 Veterans Vault: Spearfishing Southern Bluefin Tuna Guide
- Southern Bluefin Tuna (Australian Fisheries Guide)
- Background targeting these fish in Victoria
- Finding where they are located (bait, workups, behaviour)
- Equipment (an added section with more info at end of interview 80:00)
- The hunting system (roles, preparation, communication)
- Caring for your catch
- Etiquette with Line Fishing Boats
- Connect with James on Insta @southernspearfishing
72:45 Funniest Moments out on the Water
75:00 James Beckman Equipment Bag
“Spearfishing is the most expensive way to catch free fish”
80:00 Parting comments and advice on hunting Southern Bluefin Tuna
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world.
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
Immersion Online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.ImmersionFreediving.com
- 28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a freediver. Learn the proven strategies competitive freedivers use to strengthen their performance.
- Equalization Masterclass. If you are freediver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to Valsalva and hello to Frenzal and make equalizing easy.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30% bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.ImmersionFreediving.com