Interview with James Sakker
Today’s interview is James Sakker! It’s day 3 of Shrek and Cam’s East Australian Coast trip and they are chatting with James Sakker! Whales and sharks become a big talking point with loads of stories of encounters and tips for dealing with them yourself. Also some bonus tips for hunting Mackerel and drift diving! Lots of laughter and great stories!
- 00:13 Intro
- 06:55 No lobsters were harmed in the making of this podcast!
- 07:50 Day 3 on our mission
- 09:30 You picked an amazing time to come, not
- 10:55 Big whales and a baby whale
- 14:25 Tail slapped by a whale
- 15:40 Scariest whale story
- 17:40 Diving with Dodgy and a Bull shark!
- 22:10 Cam’s shark encounter
- 25:15 How should you handle sharks when you shoot a fish? Keep eye contact, roar or make a loud noise underwater. You’re big, be aggressive. Except Bull sharks.
- 30:40 Sharks have strict hierarchies, especially Great Whites. A smart shark is a cautious one.
- 32:10 Encounters with aggressive sharks
- 35:00 Poking sharks away and a mate getting bitten
- 41:10 Tagging Great Whites
- 42:40 Great Whites throughout the world
- 44:45 Is it blood or movement that attracts sharks?
- 46:20 Alternatives to poking
- 48:15 Thoughts on the swimmer taken in Sydney, very unusual behaviour
- 50:30 Tiger sharks and Dogtooth Tuna
- 53:20 Cobia
- 54:20 What is your diving range at home?
- 56:25 Drift diving = accuracy matters more than time
- 01:00:20 How do you dive pinnacles?
- 01:01:55 Flashers and Mackeral
- 01:04:20 Sound underwater
- 01:06:35 What’s coming up next?
- 01:08:05 Outro
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing