Justin Lee Spearfishing Interview
Fierce, uber-friendly and a true life-long learner is how I’d describe Justin after chatting with him. Justin is absolutely sold out on the lifestyle hunting and spearfishing provides. Big themes in this interview include; learning something from every person you encounter (taking arrows), maintaining an openness to whatever you are engaged in and learning continuously, and just being a person who is fun to hang out with. One of the standout stories for me, was Justin being hoisted out of the water in 80 fathoms of water from right in the middle of a Tiger Shark highway….at nighttime. This interview packs some dynamite tips and mindsets. Listen in!
Mentioned in this episode
- North Florida Shootout. More info here
- Noob Spearo Spearfishing Club Connections
- Noob Spearo on Patreon
- 99 Tips to get Better at Spearfishing on Amazon | Softcover here | Illustrated PDF here
- Penetrator Fins
- HECS Wetsuit
- Norcat 2 Spearfishing Charter – North Queensland
Justin Lee Spearfishing Interview Time Stamps
7:00 Justin Lee Introduction. Royal Hawaiin Saldalwood Oil with his Dad Reforestation Project haloaaina.com
14:00 Early Obstacles | surrounded by legends | learning to find Octopus (Ai’Ai)
19:40 Most Memorable Fish and what makes a moment memorable
26:45 Difficult Species to Hunt. Observation and Techniques
35:30 Toughest Moment on the Ocean | Tiger Shark Bay Newspaper Article
43:00 Funniest Time
49:00 Recent New Zealand Spearfishing Adventure
52:20 Competition Spearfishing Tips, Techniques and Mindset
57:35 Competition Spearfishing Equipment | massive chat on spearguns
62:20 Justin Lee’s Spearfishing Divebag
- Penetrator Fins
- HECS wetsuits
- Salvimar Green Gloves
- Riffe Knife
- Aimrite Rage Roller
80:30 Spearo Q&A
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a super deal for downunder spearos (Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
- 28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a freediver. Learn the proven strategies competitive freedivers use to strengthen their performance.
- Make you equalization problems a thing of the past. If you are freediver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. I’ve taught over 500 people to equalize for freediving via my one on one Skype sessions. I’ve taken that method and turning in into an online course with over 14 videos discussing every equalization problem I’ve ever encountered.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30 bigger breath and learn how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
- View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.
ImmersionFreediving.com (* That link has your affiliate linked underneath it *)
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here
Join the Noob Spearo Community on Facebook
Support Noob Spearo on Patreon!