Interview with Kevin Glen
Today’s interview is with Kevin Glen former owner/operator of Mantis Spearfishing, a friend of Forrest Galante and the only guy to shoot a Marlin in California! An engineer and innovator in the spearfishing world with countless awesome stories of him and his mates out in the water! From shooting and losing a Sailfish in Durban to tracking down Yellow Tail and Sea Bass in the Channel Islands, he is a great source of information and knowledge in California. Hear some of his stories in the water, the journey of learning to spearfish and the stoke of doing it with great friends. Be sure to check out Mantis Spearfishing and grab their last stock!
- 00:13 Intro
- 04:50 Welcome Kevin! Tell us about this Marlin!
- 10:10 You engineered a dive float?
- 13:50 You have an unusual spearfishing story with a bunch of famous friends!
- 15:55 Setting the record straight on the record Sea Bass with Forrest Galante!
- 18:55 What’s the spearfishing community like there?
- 20:10 Wind and swell conditions for the Channel Islands
- 21:35 Urchin barons
- 22:05 Sheephead eat urchins
- 26:05 Mantis Spearfishing – tell us about it! The Roller Muzzle
- 30:10 What does your spearfishing look like these days? Good dive buddies?
- 33:30 White Sea Bass
- 34:50 Vermillion Rock Cod
- 35:45 Do you think your fisheries are well managed? MPA’s, 30-30 and conservation
- 40:00 Big hearts, well intentioned but completely disconnected from the real world
- 42:55 What’s your favourite species to hunt? Halibut, yellow tail and sea bass
- 44:55 How are you tracking yellow tail down?
- 46:15 Using bait fish
- 48:05 Half Moon bait fish
- 51:45 Memorable fish
- 54:10 Fighting the fish – how much tension is right?
- 56:25 Tough/scary situations
- 01:00:25 Reels vs floatlines
- 01:02:15 Jewfish, Mulloway or Kabeljou sounds
- 01:03:45 Designing gear
- 01:08:20 We need more people like you!
- 01:12:00 What’s in your dive bag for the Channel Islands? 5mm wetsuit, weightbelt, knife, Scorpio Carbon Fibre fins in Pathos foot pockets, Mantis Spearguns
- 01:15:30 Spearo Q&A
- 01:22:00 Outro
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing