My wife makes these sensational Fillet o Fish knock-off burgers that absolutely destroy the Golden Arches version. Not only do you know exactly what is going into them but you can relive the nostalgic taste and everyone else in the family (nearly everyone) enjoys them too. Trust me, Fake Fillet o Fish Burgers are a dead-set crowd pleaser:) Here is her recipe! – Shrek
- Fish (cut into thin portion size square shapes. I used Spanish Mackerel)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Brioche bread rolls
- 200g /250g Flour
- X1 egg
- 250ml-300ml Lemonade (add until you have a pancake type batter consistency)
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Capers
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup Gherkins
- Lemon and lemon rind
- 1 ½ cup Mayonnaise
- The tartare sauce: Pour mayonnaise into bowl. Chop up capers, dill, gherkins and place into bowl. Add salt, pepper, lemon and lemon rind to taste and mix well. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- The batter: Put the flour, egg, lemonade and salt and pepper into bowl and mix well. Place in fridge to keep cold if not using straight away.
- Pour enough oil for shallow frying into wok (or fry pan), place on medium to high heat. You can test the oil with a little batter, if bubbling when placed in the oil is ready.
- Dip each piece of fish into the batter and coat well. Place battered fish into oil and cook on both sides for a few minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Place on cooling rack or plate with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.
- To assemble burgers, spread a generous amount of Tartare sauce on bottom bun, followed by lettuce, a piece of crispy battered fish and a slice of cheese. Enjoy!
- Batter is best when really cold. Placing in fridge until ready to use is helpful or placing two ice cubes into batter when using.
- If you have the oil cooking on high the whole time it will burn the batter.
Pssst: get banging recipes just like this one and more in 99 Spearo Recipes – our crowdfunded seafood cookbook.