Interview with Rachel Thomson and Larissa Zip
Today’s episode is with two ladies on the WA coast who have started a really cool initiative: Life’s Short, Stay Moist! Old Man Blue suggested Rachel and Larissa for the show and we are glad they did! These ladies are both great divers, have a passion for getting other women into the sea! We had a great time chatting about their own journey’s into spearfishing, using load assists, the talks they give at Adreno and the trips and events they run. If you’d like to find out more, have a listen to this interview and check out their Instagram and Facebook page. Thank you both for being on the show this week!
Join the next talk at Adreno! August 19th at Adreno Perth!
- 00:12 Life’s short, stay moist!
- 04:25 Welcome Rachel and Larissa! You’ve just finished a trip?
- 06:14 You both surf too
- 06:56 Edmonton, Alberta spearfishing club – that’s where I’m from!
- 08:01 Larissa, where did you get into the water?
- 09:54 A complimentary backup sport
- 10:29 Rachel, how did you get into the water?
- 14:13 Experiencing negative buoyancy
- 15:15 What was your first fish?
- 17:13 A good first experience and a good mindset
- 17:50 Swimming with a bleeding fish in Great White country
- 19:00 Larissa, what was your first fish?
- 23:11 Funny story with a Baldchin Groper
- 24:25 The value of being comfortable with your gear
- 25:55 Load assists and learning to load a gun
- 28:26 What do you use?
- 29:18 What other struggles did you have? How LSSM started
- 30:55 Talks at Adreno
- 31:54 Target practice in the swell
- 33:28 Dry land speargun excercises
- 35:31 A spearing course or some formal education for spearing is really valuable
- 37:50 Do you need to dampen expectations a bit with regards top shooting fish? Going to progressively more challenging dive spots
- 41:31 Spearfishing friends
- 41:58 Where did the name Life’s Short Stay Moist come from?
- 42:47 What’s next for you two?
- 43:45 Tell us about the charter trips you run
- 44:44 The dangers of undercatering
- 46:07 Rachel, tell us about spearing in Exmouth
- 48:25 What do you do for work, dive buddies, boat or shore diving?
- 50:05 Have you got a good dive crew?
- 51:04 And Larissa, what does your spearing look like now?
- 52:15 What are your personal spearing goals?
- 55:42 Hunters can be the ultimate conservationists
- 57:36 Tough and scary situations
- 59:07 Bull sharks in Exmouth and dealing with them
- 01:02:12 Funny stories
- 01:07:39 What’s in your dive bags?
- 01:10:00 How thick are your wetsuits?
- 01:13:22 Spearo Q&A
- Fish of a lifetime
- Bucket list location
- Most influential person
- What advice would you give yourself if you started over?
- What does the spearfishing experience mean to you?
- 01:18:04 Thank you for being on the show! Closing announcements
- 01:20:23 Noober Stories: Captain Cory James from Panama
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- lifesshort_staymoist on Instagram
- Ladies Spearfishing and Freediving group on Facebook
- Rachel on Instagram
- Larissa on Instagram
- Chris Coats DIY flasher guide on Youtube
- Kilsby Sinkhole trip with the Pressure Project
- Captain Cory James from Panama
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing