Interview with Matt Mattison
North California Underwater Hunters President
Matt Mattison is an avid abalone acquirer. In this chat with him we get right into Abalone and North California spearfishing. Matt’s got plenty of experience and he’s a genuinely nice bloke so this episode packs a tonne of information and banter.
5:00 Matts story about getting started spearfishing. Learning how to stalk fish properly, how to hold his breath and equipment. Family traditions chasing Abalone.
9:00 North California Spearfishing and the forum No Cal Underwater hunters.
14:00 What has been your most memorable catch?
19:00 What is your favorite Spearfishing Hunting technique?
23:00 Whats one of the toughest situations you’ve faced in the ocean?
27:00 Veterans Vault | Abalone Chasing (recorded late 2017)
- How does the fishery work there?
- What are the size and limits?
- How are spearos involved in the fishery management?
- How do you prepare abalone?
- What do you look for when you are chasing abalone?
- Where are they likely to be hiding?
- Do you find them in groups or alone?
- How do you pry the abalone off the rocks?
- Where do you find a 10inch abalone?
- What locations are the best for finding abalone?
- How do you clean up the shells?
- Do the smaller ones taste better?
- Do you have any more tips for finding abalone?
49:00 What is one of the funniest moments you’ve seen in the water?
51:00 Spearo Q&A
- Can you describe what the spearfishing experience means to you in one sentence?
- If yoiu could start all over again, what would you do differently?
- In your 30+ years spearfishing what is the single biggest lesson you have learned?
- If you could go back now and give yourself some advice when you were starting spearfishing, what would it be?
- Who is the single best person to go spearfishing with and why?
55:00 What is in your spearfishing dive bag?
Where can the listeners find you?
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the discount code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com. Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free here
- Spearing Magazine. Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world
- Penetrator Fins. Use code: noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here
- HowToFreedive.com Use the code noobspearo to save 20%
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here
- Exclusive spearfishing equipment deals
- The latest blog posts and interviews delivered to your inbox
- 10 Tips To Become A Better Spearo PDF
- Access to our Private Facebook group