Interview with Trevor Ketchion
How to find spearfishing locations by boat
This is a Q&A with veteran spearo Trevor Ketchion focusing on boating reconnaissance for spearfishing. Finding your own unique fishy locations to mark on your GPS is something every spearo with a boat wants to do. Hammering the same old spots is not a smart strategy as you don’t catch as many fish or develop skills to find fish for yourself. If you are ready to learn some new skills then tune in and listen to Trevor lay out some actionable tips:)
- Noob Spearo Community Facebook Group
- Noob Spearo Supporter Page on Patreon
- Submerged Psychos on Facebook
- Rubbish Spearos
- Valentine Thomas Cookbook
- Free freediving for spearfishing safety course
- Spearo Log on Amazon
- Full interview with Trevor Ketchion here
- Shore Diving Reconnaissance with Pat Swanson
6:00 Why you should find your own locations to spear fish.
7:20 How to start start planning your own reconnaissance missions
- Using a sounder
- Positioning a sounder
- Coordinating boat with current, wind and structure beneath
- Finding ground worth exploring
- Search patterns
28:30 Good apps, books and websites for finding new locations
- RipCharts, Navionics
- Use surfing or kitesurfing weather and condition apps. WindyTV
- BOM, WillyWeather, SeaBreeze for weather
32:00 How to store, keep and label fishing marks
35:00 How to learn to understand charts
44:40 Surface Temperature. Is it worth tracking and how do you do it?
48:00 Lot’s of Noob Spearo Community Questions covering recong, spearguns, rollers vs conventional and more
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world.
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a freediver. Learn the proven strategies competitive freedivers use to strengthen their performance.
Equalization Masterclass. If you are freediver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to Valsalva and hello to Frenzal and make equalizing easy.
Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
Free online courses – How to take a 20-30% bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.