Interview with Catherine Sayce
Catherine Sayce is a Kiwi airline attendant/insta speara star renown for her sharp sense of humour and self-deprecating wit. She’s also New Zealand most disqualified female spearo – and we talk about how to avoid this in the Veterans Vault and have some good laughs along the way. Listen out for some great info on hunting Wahoo. Download this episode on your app of choice and find 116 similar episodes right here.
Links Mentioned in this Episode
- Noob Spearo Community on Facebook
- Noob Spearo on Patreon
- North Florida Shootout Spearfishing competition
- Freshwater World Spearfishing Competition
Catherine Sayce Spearfisherwoman Interview Guide + time stamps
08:00 Catherine meet and greet. Background and banter
11:30 Introduction to spearfishing. “Grabbing my fear by the balls” – Catherine Sayce
15:00 Awesome dive buddies
15:40 International spearfishing trips | Forrest Gallante
24:00 Most Memorable Fish Capture | Wahoo – get closer!
“(With Wahoo) Don’t make eye contact with the fish but check out all the detail in the fish’s eye (to make sure you are close enough to shoot)” – Catherine Sayce
32:00 “What does THOT mean?” Duncan Henderson
34:20 What is the toughest situation you’ve had out spearfishing?
44:00 Veterans Vault: Avoiding Disqualification in Spearfishing Competitions
- Paying attention at briefing
- Monitoring times (particularly time back at ramp, time at briefing)
- Time management (wear a dive watch)
- Read the competition rules
51:00 Fish Identification | Learning the species, the rules and regulations governing their capture. Also how to identify in water and spend the time to correctly identify the fish before squeezing the trigger
55:00 Shark Controversy Discussion
62:00 Funniest Moment Spearfishing | Poo Rock and Prizes
65:00 What’s in your spearfishing dive bag?
68:00 Spearo Q&A
- Who have been the most influential people in your spearfishing?
- What is your next fish goal?
72:00 Concluding remarks and wisdom:)
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Killshot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable. Use the code:NOOB to save!
- 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing | Softcover available here
- Mad Gear | Shirts and Apparel from Noob Spearo
EVERY Online Immersion (Ted Harty) class available at www.noobspearo.com/ted
- 28-day Freediving Transformation – Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks, you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a free diver. Additionally, learn the proven strategies competitive free divers use to strengthen their performance.
- Equalization Masterclass – If you are free diver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to Valsalva and hello to Frenzel and make equalizing easy.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving – 19 one-hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30% bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
- View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.ImmersionFreediving.com