Interview with Wayne Judge
Wayne is an absolute gun at coaching spearos to improve their spearfishing. This episode has some excellent takeaways for guys wanting to improve their breath-hold, finning technique and become more effective in the water. He achieves these results by getting people into regular pool training using targeted exercises in a 12 week program. This episode we also dig into hunting Dogtooth Tuna. Despite Wayne being self-deprecating with regards to his hunting ability, we get a tonne of actionable intel from him in order to hunt Dogtooth Tuna successfully. Do not miss this episode – subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast via the links below. Listen in for some Wayne Judge spearfishing training tips!
Interview Time Stamps
7:00 Wayne Judge’s spearfishing origins | Sydney spearfishing and the North Shore Underwater Crew
13:00 Wayne shares the story of the one that got away
14:45 Memorable spearfishing experience starting spearfishing with his son Ant Judge (Ants interview here)
16:30 Advice for guys getting started spearfishing in South East Queensland
17:30 What is your favorite species to hunt spearfishing? Dogtooth Tuna
17:45 What are some tips for hunting Dogtooth Tuna
23:00 What is the toughest situation you’ve had in the ocean?
27:40 Veterans Vault – Wayne Judge Spearfishing Training – in the pool
- What are you most proud of as a freediving coach?
- How do you train for spearfishing?
- Why can’t guys just spearfish more?
- What does your training program look like?
- What progress can people expect from doing a 12 week program?
- What is CO2 training?
- What is O2 training?
- Can you give us a specific example of one pool training method for spearfishing?
- What are the problems you see consistently with spearos?
- Audience questions. How important are surface intervals?
- What is your opinion on purge valves?
68:00 What is the funniest thing you have experienced out in the ocean?
These spearfishing retailers now have 99 Tips in stock!! (does your retailer have it!)
- Adreno – Brisbane. 56 Deshon St, Woolloongabba QLD 4102
- Adreno – Melbourne. 1184 Nepean Hwy, Cheltenham VIC 3192
- Adreno – Sydney. 1/678-682 Botany Rd, Alexandria NSW 2015
- Adreno – Perth. 2C / 376 South St, O’Connor, WA, 6163
- Spearfishing Superstore – Cairns. 303-305 Draper St, Parramatta Park QLD 4870
- The Dive Shop – Port Lincoln. 4 S Quay Blvd, Port Lincoln SA 5606
- Frogdive – Willoughby. 539 Willoughby Rd, NSW 2068
- Spear and Fish Downunder – Newcastle. 990 Hunter street. Newcastle, NSW 2302
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. Email [email protected] for a super deal for downunder spearos (Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here