Noob Spearo Ultimate Guide’s
Freediving for Spearfishing
“You just hold your breath and go shoot a fish don’t you……?”
Um… yeah… kind of.
Holding your breath for spearfishing isn’t a skill that comes naturally and even the very best divers are still trying to improve. Most of the time it comes down to relaxation, understanding your body and grading your expectations (that sounds sh#t though doesn’t it?)
The freediving side of spearfishing might be a lifelong pursuit but the good news is that hunting within the breath-hold you currently have can be done effectively while you continue to improve your freedive ability.
Fortunately the Noob Spearo have put together all of the best Podcasts, Blog posts and resources to help you in your freedive spearfishing journey. Enjoy!
- Training, Resources & Knowledge
- Freediving and Spearfishing Courses
- Shallow Water Blackout, Samba & Drowning + Injuries and Accidents
- Equalizing Issues
- Improve your breathhold and more in NSP:034 101 Freediving for Spearfishing
- FREE freediving safety course info in NSP:096 Ted Harty | Return of the Jedi + Freedive Safety Course
- Adam Stern on EVERYTHING freediving for spearfishing – NSP:116 Adam Freediver Stern | Equalizing Masterclass
- Jaap Verbaas on going Longer and Deeper in NSP:095 Jaap Verbaas | Myoglobin, Hypoxic Squats and Going Longer and Deeper
- Underwater Hockey, a training tool for spearfishing in NSP:026 Sean Hartley Underwater Hockey Ambassador
- Dry Training in NSP:088 Dry Training for Spearfishing + Cris Dillon Spearjunkies Update
- Wayne Judge on Pool Spearfishing Training (27:40) in NSP:087 Wayne Judge Sperfishing Training
- Dry Training for Spearfishing
- Pool Training for Spearfishing
- Dealing with pressure and learning to dive past 20 Meters (60ft) in Spearfishing at 20 metres – Part 1
- If you want to spend longer on the bottom and increase your dive time then there’s at least one tip in here for you! 6 Actionable Tips to Improve Your Bottom Time
- Spearfishing Deep with Brandon Hendrickson
- Shallow water blackout and FAQ about freediving courses with Andrew Quincoses in NSP:020 Andrew Quincoses, Nautilus Spearfishing
- NSP:111 I Dive Alone
- Spearfishing and anxiety in NSP:099 Tim Kavermann How Spearfishing Can Help You Overcome Anxiety
- First aid for spearfishing in NSP:089 Sam Blount Front Line Freediving | Spearfishing First Aid
- Equalizing – podcast interview with Ted Harty! NSP:042 Ted Harty Equalizing Ninja from Immersion Freediving
Ultimate Guide's Resources
Interview with Adam Freediver Stern Adam Freediver Stern is the Steve Irwin of freediving. His contagious enthusiasm has inspired thousands of people to discover the joy of freediving and freedive spearfishing. It was with much excitement that I got on this call with...
I Dive Alone | The Spearfishing Dilemma A dilemma is when the two choices in front of you are difficult. If you want to go spearfishing but you don't have a dive buddy then your choices are; to dive alone or stay home. One choice involves a higher level of risk but...
The road to 40 meters By Sven Franklin Since I started freediving and spearfishing I have always watched the videos of people diving deep in awe. Like a form of hypnotism, there was something about it that really drew me in. At the time of writing this article I have...
Interview with Tim Kavermann Have you ever been stuck, frozen for a few seconds (which felt like hours), paralyzed and unable to take action? This is one example of heightened anxiety that I can relate to and maybe it's you too. The good news is that Tim Kavermann...
Interview with Ted Harty | Freedivesafety.com Launch Duckdiving tips, a dive day fatigue elimination hack and 3 compelling reasons to dive with a buddy! As usual this chat with Ted is packed with insights and tips to improve your spearfishing. Today is also the launch...
Interview with Dr. Jaap Verbaas Today's episode is an interview with the Author of Longer and Deeper, a cross training guide for freediving and spearfishing. Dr. Jaap Verbaas is a crash test dummy of the highest calibre. I geek out way too much and we talk about...
Interview with Sam Blount from Frontline Freediving Sam Blount from Frontline freediving in Wilmington, North Carolina joins us to share some very practical information for all spearos. Specifically we take a look at the 4 most serious types of injuries and accidents...
2 Part Monster! 101 Dry Training for Spearfishing + Cris Dillon Spearjunkies Update This epiode is a bit different. The first 30 minutes are all about improving your breath-hold using dry training. The second half of the show is a Cris Dillon Spearjunkies Update....
Interview with Wayne Judge Wayne is an absolute gun at coaching spearos to improve their spearfishing. This episode has some excellent takeaways for guys wanting to improve their breath-hold, finning technique and become more effective in the water. He achieves these...
The importance of continued learning in spearfishing In everyday life we place so much importance on continually learning, so why should spearfishing and freediving be any different? There is always lots of encouragement about taking a freediving course when...