Noob Spearo Ultimate Guide’s
Shore Dive Spearfishing
Shore diving AKA rockhopping is basically spearfishing from a land base without a boat/kayak/jetski or anything other than a float/buoy or body board. This can include:
- Diving in enclosed non-tidal waters such as lakes, rivers, etc.
- Calm tidal waters such as harbours, bays, river mouths, estuaries etc.
- Surf prone shore diving (entering and exiting the shore through a surf-zone).
Each of these types of shore dive spearfishing share commonalities. The basics are covered in these articles and podcasts:
- 101 Shore Dive Spearfishing – The Rock Hoppers Episode covering all 3 of our beginner spearfishing articles on shore diving.
- Reconnaissance: Mapping your dive area [34:00] – Pat Swanson Interview about understanding terrain, current, structure and how they work together.
- Spearfishing out wide: Using Banks Board style floats to go further – Grant Laidlaw Interview
- Big Swell Exits – No stoke and the infamous exit interview with Richard Leonard
- Shore Dive Spearfishing Part 1, How to plan and prepare, finding people to go with, finding good spots and recon, and more.
- Shore Dive Spearfishing Part 2, The diveday. Entry and Exit planning, spearfishing hunting techniques, equipment and more.
- Three Mistakes I’ve Made Shore Diving, Written by the Armed Snorkeler from N.Z. Provides some great insights into planning for your early diving adventures.
- Three Free Tools To Find New Spearfishing Location. Guest post by Clancy Bowman laying out how he finds new spots to target specific species.
Ultimate Guide's Resources
NSP:067 Pat Swanson Veteran Kiwi Spearo
Interview with Pat Swanson Should I try diving for a job? I love the water and I think could spend all day in it so why not make it my job? This is a thought Ive had and in this chat with veteran spearo and ex-commercial diver Pat Swanson we dig right into whether its...
3 free online tools to help you find secret spearfishing spots
A Guide to finding your own Secret Spearfishing Spots - by Clancy Introduction - How I learned to find my own spearfishing spots When I was first starting out spearfishing I hassled anyone I could about where the best spots were. The people I was asking didn’t...
NSP:045 Grant Laidlaw Scotland Spearfishing and Pneumatic Spearguns
Spearfishing in Scotland? Pneumatic Spearguns? Listen and subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Podbean Thats right! Listen into this interview with Grant Laidlaw, a proper kilt wearing, Mcewan's lager drinking...
NSP:022 101 Shore Diving
101 Shore Diving, a spearfishing beginners guide Listen and subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Podbean If you want to know about how to begin spearfishing from shore then this interview covers the basics...
Three Mistakes I’ve made shore diving
Some things I could've done better spearfishing from shore 1) The “she’ll be right" attitude. On one of my first shore dives I was away up in the Coromandel, New Zealand. I had only just gotten into the sport and I was really keen just to get in the water for a dive....
Guide for Shore Dive Spearfishing. Part 2 – the diveday
Guide for Shore Dive Spearfishing Part 2, the Dive Day Welcome to second part of our Guide for Shore Dive Spearfishing. Part 2 is highly geared towards those shore diving through a surf-zone but the points to consider are still applicable to sheltered water diving....
Guide for Shore Dive Spearfishing, Part 1 – how to plan and prepare
Guide for Shore dive spearfishing Part 1, how to plan and prepare Shore diving or Rock-hopping is diving from shore instead of diving from a boat. It's how most of us start out spearfishing and shore diving remains something that I love doing, even in Queensland where...
NSP:003 Richard Leonard Exceptional Spearfishing Film Maker
Richard Leonard Exceptional Spearfishing Film Maker Listen and subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Podbean Richard 'Snoek' Leonard is fast becoming a globally renown spearfishing personality, with his vast...