Interview with Øystein Sundland
Today’s interview is with Øystein Sundland from the Havkontoret Norwegian Spearfishing Podcast and we talk all things Norway spearfishing! If Norway wasn’t on your bucket list for spearfishing destinations, now it will be! Cold water, big fish, bigger sharks, night diving and some amazing scenery for when you surface, Norway is a semi-hidden gem in the spearfishing world! Hear some stories and get info from a local Norwegian spearo about the spearfishing in Norway, what gear you need and what fish you can expect to encounter. Øystein runs a Norwegian spearfishing podcast called Havkontoret, if you speak the language then here is an amazing resource for you! Have you been diving in Norway? Let us know your experience in the comments!
- 00:13 Intro
- 05:25 Welcome Øystein!
- 07:50 Tell us about the Havkontoret podcast and how you started spearfishing
- 11:45 What is the vision for your podcast?
- 13:30 Norwegian fish farms
- 17:15 What is the spearfishing scene in Norway like?
- 18:55 Dill and Scallop pasta
- 22:30 Halibut! What is it like hunting them?
- 27:40 Massive Monkfish on little Christmas eve: how to hunt and cook Monkfish
- 36:45 Your family has some freediving and fishing history
- 40:50 The spearo lifestyle
- 44:55 Hunting using the tidal currents
- 49:30 Keeping spearfishing spots secret
- 50:25 You have some awesome podcast guests – the Turbot King! And other fish species to hunt in Norway
- 54:30 How to spearfish in Norway
- 56:40 Spearfishing Coalfish
- 01:00:20 What wetsuit are you wearing? A Frivannsliv 7mm
- 01:01:30 Diving in fjords
- 01:03:15 Norway spearfishing regulations and licenses
- 01:10:50 What’s in your gear bag?
- 01:12:15 Rig line, float and flag
- 01:16:15 Do you have fishing competition from line fisherman?
- 01:18:55 Scary stuff
- 01:20:30 Buddy diving vs diving alone
- 01:25:40 Funny stuff
- 01:28:05 Getting caught in the current
- 01:30:40 Spearo Q&A
- 01:33:30 Thanks for being on the show! Where can people find you?
- 01:36:20 Outro
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- Grab a hardcover copy of 99 Spearo Recipes
- Noob Spearo Facebook Community
- Noob Spearo Instagram
- Noob Spearo YouTube Channel
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- Aqualyte Hydration | 10% off for listeners with code: NOOBSPEARO | www.aqualyte.com.au/
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out the legendary SeaSac HERE