Interview with Tim Hatler & Brock Kennedy
Today’s interview is with Tim Hatler & Brock Kennedy of Palapas Ventana in Baja, Mexico! Surrounded by amazing sea’s almost year round and with options for when the weather is bad, they have some of the world’s best spearfishing out there. They run spearfishing trips where spearos Noob and experienced alike can get in the water and have an opportunity to shoot potentially world record fish! Listen to the stories they tell from their many years running spearfishing trips, advice on booking and preparing for a trip and some of the fun you can expect! From riding Great White sharks to cruising in luxury, if you are wanting a memorable spearfishing experience, go look at Palapas Ventana!
- 00:13 Intro
- 04:00 Welcome Brock and Tim!
- 05:35 Where in the world are you?
- 07:05 You have an ocean full of life
- 08:40 Introduce yourselves and Palapas Ventana
- 10:15 Tell us about your accommodation you have an offer
- 12:10 How does it work for international travelers coming to visit? Logistical issues
- 14:25 How long do you need to have a decent trip? 5 days of diving
- 15:30 February has the worst conditions, least fish
- 17:05 Trade winds
- 19:15 How remote do you travel on these trips?
- 20:50 Brock, how did you start spearfishing?
- 22:10 Scuba spearfishing
- 24:20 Coming from cold water to now having warm tropical water, how has that changed your spearfishing?
- 25:35 Tim, how did you start spearfishing?
- 29:00 Spearfishing in Guadeloupe
- 31:45 Spearfishing with Great White sharks
- 34:40 What fish do you love to hunt? Tell us about Wahoo
- 38:05 Most memorable Wahoo
- 40:12 Roosterfish
- 42:06 Yellowfin Tuna
- 44:45 Grouper hunting
- 50:25 What other locally inspired experiences have you included? What food are you eating on your trips?
- 57:35 Scary stuff: how do you deal with emergencies?
- 58:16 Does guiding take away from your spearfishing experience?
- 59:50 Describe the perfect clients
- 01:01:40 Funny stories
- 01:06:50 What’s in your dive bag?
- 01:10:10 List of gear to bring: Don’t fly with weights!
- 01:10:55 Spearo Q&A
- 01:13:21 Thank you Tim and Brock!
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing