Interview with Sam Blount from Frontline Freediving
Sam Blount from Frontline freediving in Wilmington, North Carolina joins us to share some very practical information for all spearos. Specifically we take a look at the 4 most serious types of injuries and accidents that can happen to spearos and then we scenario plan exactly how Sam would deal with each of these events. He’s a former marine and has designed a trauma kit specifically for spearfishing so this episode covers a tonne of first responder information. As well as first aid we learn a whole lot about African Pompano and Hogfish as well as practical info for getting serious about underwater photography. On a personal level, this episode made me think about how I would respond in some tough situations and also fired me up to hunt AP’s. Let us know what you think in the comments or join the conversation on Facebook here.
Interview Time Stamps
8:00 Sam Introduction and a catchup about current spearfishing conditions in North Carolina
11:00 How Sam started spearfishing, Terry Maas Book
13:00 African Pompano (AP). Spearfishing, behaviour, food and the story of his first capture
18:00 North Carolina bottom, benthos and the local spearfishing experience
20:00 Hogfish research takeaways
22:30 Early obstacles spearfishing. Mark Winterburg and Brian Davis were two early mentors. Equalizing issues spearfishing.
26:45 We ask Sam, what obstacle or issue are you working on right now?
28:00 What has been your most memorable catch spearfishing?
36:00 What is your favourite species to hunt and what technique do you use to hunt them effectively?
View this post on Instagram
@s.a.m.b.l.o.u.n.t from @frontlinefreediving joins us for a MAD chat. We get right into AP and Hogfish hunting, underwater photography basic settings and emergency first aid response! What to do when the 💩 hits the 🎡(soz no fan). As usual check it out on @spotify or wherever you listen to podcasts. #noobspearo #spearfishing #a6300
41:50 What is the scariest moment you’ve had in the ocean?
48:40 Veterans Vault: Frontline First Aid for Spearfishing (Spearfishing Trauma Kit Here)
- What are the three major injuries that can happen spearfishing?
- What is the treatment/process for each spearfishing related accident?
- What equipment to you need? What gear do you have in the Frontline First Aid Trauma/Response Kit?
- What to do in the event of shark bites, massive trauma (boat prop damage etc), burns, broken bones, puncture and stab wounds.
- How do you get an injured diver onto a boat?
- In the event of an unconscious diver get them to the surface, protect their airway, on the surface get their mask of their face and blow, tap, touch and check response, listen to the episode for more information from Sam
- After a blackout or samba the spearfisher should stop diving for the day and be under observation
77:00 What is one of the funniest moments you’ve had out spearfishing?
79:45 Do you recommend new spearos get a reelgun?
86:40 What’s in your spearfishing dive bag?
88:50 What’s your photography rig?
- Sony A6000/A6300 rig for starting (check out our Amazon Affiliate link here)
- Basic settings for spearfishing include 250 ss/500ss for faster moving animals like dolphins/ F8/ ISO below 800 (as low as you can go)
- What are some nice basic shots for guys starting out?
- Start sooner and get more footage
- Lightroom and Adobe
96:45 Spearo Q&A
- Who has been the most influential people in your spearfishing?
- What has been the best advice you’ve been given?
97:40 Where can people find you Sam?
These spearfishing retailers now have 99 Tips in stock!! (does your retailer have it!)
- Adreno – Brisbane. 56 Deshon St, Woolloongabba QLD 4102
- Adreno – Melbourne. 1184 Nepean Hwy, Cheltenham VIC 3192
- Adreno – Sydney. 1/678-682 Botany Rd, Alexandria NSW 2015
- Adreno – Perth. 2C / 376 South St, O’Connor, WA, 6163
- Spearfishing Superstore – Cairns. 303-305 Draper St, Parramatta Park QLD 4870
- The Dive Shop – Port Lincoln. 4 S Quay Blvd, Port Lincoln SA 5606
- Frogdive – Willoughby. 539 Willoughby Rd, NSW 2068
- Spear and Fish Downunder – Newcastle. 990 Hunter street. Newcastle, NSW 2302
- Spear West – 2/1 Baden Street, Osborne Park. Western Australia. 6017
- Extreme Spearfishing – 1/539 Pitwater Road Brookevale, Sydney NSW 2100
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. Email email@example.com for a super deal for downunder spearos (Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here
Join the Noob Spearo Community on Facebook