Spearfishing Equipment Community Q&A with Jerry Guerra
Massive community generated spearfishing equipment chat with Neptonics Madman Jerry Guerra. GoPro Mounts, Speargun Ballistics, Rigline Management, Innovative Spearfishing Equipment and even an idea there for young spearos wanting to generate cash for themselves. Listen in!
View this post on Instagram
Coming Very SOON (today). Massive community generated spearfishing equipment chat with @neptonics_worldwide madman Jerry Guerra @bluewatersensations. #GoPro mounts #speargunballistics #riglinemanagement #innovativegear #spearguns 🎧Subscribe and Download the Noob Spearo Podcast on every good podcast app! 🤫Use the code noob10 to save 10% when you shop at neptonics.com
Important Times | Spearfishing Gear Q&A
00:00 Big welcome to Neptonics:) 10% off for listeners with the code NOOB10
06:00 GoPro MOUNTS: Bob “Bloody go pro mounts that don’t get in the way. I have a Salvimar 125 carbon gun. And cant mount a GoPro anywhere suitable that doesn’t get in the way.”
JP Freediving “I love it mounted on the gun. I can’t see where the cameras pointing properly when its on my head. I lose good shots of what I’m shooting and with the gun unloaded after shooting a fish its good to hold it like a selfie stick with the catch. Also when swimming up the camera moves on my Hollis goggles. I tighten it up more and it snaps the mounts when I’m swimming.”
Bob “Yeah. But the way the gun is designed is a pain. A good clamp on mounting option near the trigger on the bottom of the handle would be amazing. That way its out of the way of everything.”
Different MOUNTING options – Discussion
14:00 RIGLINE MANAGEMENT | Reducing knots, tangles and crossups
JP Freediving “At the beginning (of my spearfishing) it was the floatlines or reel lines. After some time you read the current etc, but only after turning yourself in a knot bag🤣”
Crossups and getting tangled. Reducing catch points in the water. Materials, lengths, drop weights with reels etc
- Neptonics Floatline Clutch
- Neptonics Floatlines Riglines
- Coatesman Float and Floatlines for spearfishing
29:30 How to develop a brand new spearfishing product. From concept to creation.
34:00 INNOVATION IDEA Bob “What id love to see developed are pull cord floats. Same inflation system like life jackets. Attack it to your belt and when you attach it to the gun weather its 1, 2 or 10 when the gun gets ripped away they pull off the belt and auto inflate. You can adjust the amount of floats you think you will need just before shooting by clipping them on or not. Replace the cartridges once used and go again.”
43:00 SPEARGUN BALLISTICS
- “What diameter/length for the spear, how do you compromise between precision and power?”
- “Does the material of the spear impact the flight behavior of the spear?”
- “What goes far, what goes through a big fish…?”
- “The basics of the Ballistic side of things for beginners.”
“Sorry for my English I hope it was clear enough.”
Chad “We all know that gun length as in band stretch has everything to do with power. That has everything to do with how long the band has to accelerate the shaft and that is why a longer gun even at the same amount of pull on the bands will shoot harder/farther than a shorter gun. On the human side of it we are only so strong. Here’s the point I’m trying to get to. Using the strongest bands I can cock a 16mm will have to be longer than a 14mm. So the 14mm will actually have the longer band stretch and that will give it a longer acceleration time on the shaft. In the real world I don’t believe a multi rubber gun with 14mm rubbers gives up much to the same gun with 16mm rubbers because of the difference in band stretch with the more rubbers the less advantage the bigger rubbers have. Taking into account the maximum force I am capable of or want to be pulling. What do you and your experts think about that?”
@mathieu_daiku “Roller guns shooting low!! Almost all rollers I have used while hunting and tested in the pool shoot low! Many theories have been developed like inertia of the bands flipping up the muzzle but no definite solutions have been found. Please unravel this mystery!!!!💪🤙🌊”
Chad “Consistency! being able to hear with my spearguns some days I can’t miss and some days I cannot hit. It seems the harder I try the worse I get and I understand that I need to just trust my instinct but it still happens.”
@Crisalbi “Straight shaft! Even new one from time to time aren’t straight.”
@Tommy_dozz “Power to weight ratio for rubbers and shafts per gun lengths. Is there any kind of rule to be followed?”
Shorter spear = lighter spear = quicker spear. Without having to reduce diameter and increase flex. HOWEVER overhang is not really a ballistics issue is it? We have the same overhang from a hunter aiming POV don’t we?
@the_spearfactor “The perfect combo of bands to shaft size. Also, wt of gun per # bands and size of shaft.”
Jason Harris mentioned the Coatesman Test Vid in the Rob Allen Dive Factory: Basically they setup a test rig involving a load cell with a digital readout and they ramp up the pressure on a variety of line and know setups. The results were different than I expected.
- Stainless 1.8mm line with a crimp failed at 195kg. The line failed not the crimp. Remove the plastic sheath and one crimp is enough
- 2mm Mono with Crimp failed at 103kg on the crimp
- 1.8mm dyneema with standard core and outer sheath. Failed 100kg on the knot
- 1.8mm 100% dyneema unable to be finger trapped. 124kg break at the knot
- 1.8mm single braid, hollow core, spliced with brummel lock and finger trap. Broke at 290kg
@Tazyarns from Yarns with Az and Taz Podcast says “All the systems to reload are time consuming, as you can tell, I miss a lot 😂”
Jay Galloway “I’d like to hear a convo on mono vs dyneema vs spectra shooting line.”
@Killshot_spearguns “Dyneema versus Mono for shooting line…pros and cons of each.”
@Shannon.lewis.1023 Rubber replacement, make your own or buy from the shop.
@Onebreathonedeath “Most reels can and will jam.”
@Sinkphase: “Fins! I hate having to buy fins before kicking them to test them out.”
NEXT EPISODE WITH JERRY | Hunting from Shore | Hunting from a boat
Find all links mentioned at noobspearo.com/jerry2
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything storewide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save:)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation |Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing