Interview with Jai Gibbons
Today’s episode is with the Sydney Spearo Chef Jai Gibbons! Talented and passionate about food, he has been cooking all his life and been in and out of many different kitchens around the country, picking up a treasure trove of knowledge and tips about preparing and cooking seafood! Jai has submitted an awesome guide to 99 Spearo Recipes that’s all about caring for your catch to get the best possible eating experience from it, we go in depth about that and the other tips and tricks he’s learnt in his career so far. What to do after you have speared and secured the fish, how to store, fillet and process the meat, how to choose the best knife for whatever job you’re doing and a big section on dry-aging are some of the big talking points in this interview. If you’re excited for 99 Spearo Recipes and are interested in cooking better seafood, this episode is for you! How to dry-age fish, fillet and process fish better and make better, more creative seafood dishes without the intimidation, enjoy it!
You can support us and secure yourself a copy by supporting our 99 Spearo Recipes Kickstarter campaign!
- 00:13 Intro
- 06:00 Welcome Jai Gibbons!
- 07:10 How old are you, where are you from and where did spearfishing start for you?
- 14:10 Most Sydney fish comes from New Zealand
- 15:55 The first fish you shot and ate
- 17:45 Your journey into spearfishing goes along with your attitude towards it
- 19:30 How did you learn about fish species, size limits and etc
- 20:40 Meeting Simon Trippe
- 22:40 Identifying fish underwater
- 26:25 Fish with no size limits
- 28:30 Learning things yourself and the hard way
- 33:50 If you could start all over again, what would you do differently?
- 37:30 Doing a formal course
- 40:15 How to dive better, magic breathing technique
- 44:30 Australian Spearfishing Academy
- 46:10 The basic skills you should have before spearfishing
- 47:15 99 Spearo Recipes: How did you get into becoming a professional chef?
- 52:32 Seafood intimidates many people, coming from a vegetarian background, how did you get into cooking and eating fish?
- 58:20 How to choose the best knife for the job
- 01:07:20 Fish cut with a sharp knife feels different in your mouth than fish cut with a blunt knife
- 01:11:15 Using gloves when processing fish
- 01:13:45 Do you have a dedicated fish cleaning solution?
- 01:17:20 Dry-aging and aging fish
- 01:24:32 What happens when you age fish?
- 01:29:20 99 Spearo Recipes Kickstarter
- 01:31:00 What are your goals with spearfishing and cooking?
- 01:35:50 Outro and Shrek’s last thoughts
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- Get 20% OFF @manscaped + Free Shipping with promo code NOOBSPEARO at MANSCAPED.com! #ad #manscapedpod
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing