Interview with Trevor Ketchion
Spearfishing can be seen as a costly sport to get started in and with the huge range of gear for sale these days, it can so easily end up costing a lot more than it needs to. Being a beginner and trying to buy your first pieces of gear can be an intimidating and tricky thing to get right. What do I need to buy new? What can I get away with buying 2nd hand? How do I look after this gear I have invested in? Join Shrek, Trevor Ketchion and Captain Dan Walsh as they discuss being a tightarse spearo and give a run down and discussion on all the basic equipment that a new spearo would need as well as cost cutting and DIY tips, maintenance, what to look for when buying 2nd hand and ultimately where you can cut corners and not cut yourself short. Spearos pride themselves on being able to adapt and be efficient, with our gear it’s no different. Are you a tightarse spearo? Have a listen and let us know what you think about these tips and tricks and comment your DIY tricks! Enjoy the episode!
03:28 Welcome to Trevor and Lincoln Smith message
05:00 Ashley Clark Email
06:56 Andrew Boulton Email
07:24 Spearfishing and Money Philosophy
08:08 Ben Vittino Voice Message
Basic Gear Purchasing
44:47 Rubbish Spearos
45:50 Weight Belts
48:14 Floats and Riglines
58:49 Dive Knives
01:02:05 Dive Bags
01:15:40 DIY Gear Maintenance
01:24:55 Bargain Bins, Discounted Items and Buying 2nd Hand
01:29:24 Getting Sponsored
01:33:35 Tips from Captain Dan Walsh
01:35:42 Final Thoughts
Trevor runs a Facebook group called Rubbish Spearos, a funny name but it is a great initiative and fun way to clean up your local waterways. People post and compare “Deathpiles” of dozens of sinkers, lures, bits of plastic and even a few treasures found along the way! Go check it out! –> Rubbish Spearos
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- Submerged Psychos – Trevor’s Youtube Channel
- Trevor’s Instagram
- Rubbish Spearos
- Daniel Mann’s Youtube Channel
- Noob Spearo Facebook Community
- Noob Spearo Instagram
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing