Interview with Tran Lawrence
Today’s interview is with ex-firefighter Tran Lawrence from Taranaki, New Zealand! Originally coming from a line of Vietnamese fishermen, Tran is a great example of someone who truly comes alive when he’s in the ocean. Apart from being a great spearo he is also a talented creator, check out his website, Ocean Protagonist, here! Have a listen as he tells us about growing up on the water, his connection with seafood and buying a yacht to go sailing all around New Zealand! He has some great stories from his years underwater. He is also passionate about the conservation side of being in the ocean, he has some great thoughts on that. Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
“…stories, photos, videos and anecdotes from someone that hears the ocean when she calls and listens when she sings…..a love for the ocean through the eyes of a photographer, videographer, adventurer, diver, fisherman, sailor, refugee, firefighter, and father…”
- 00:13 Intro
- 04:24 Welcome Tran! You’re an ex firefighter?
- 07:00 The Taranaki lifestyle
- 08:20 Growing up and career
- 09:05 A big health scare
- 10:35 You represent a few brands, Catch Fishing, Splash Dive, Atlantis Dive, Ocean Hunter and Rob Allen New Zealand
- 12:00 You have some amazing content, how did you get into photography?
- 13:40 Sailing around New Zealand
- 15:55 How did you start spearfishing?
- 17:40 When did you realize that spearfishing was for you?
- 22:00 Diving in Taranaki is a special experience
- 23:10 Guide to catching Kingfish
- 24:15 Scarcity mindset and taking as much as you can
- 28:00 Have you introduced people to spearfishing
- 29:35 Swimming pool or trial by fire?
- 31:20 When you take Noob divers out, how do you guide and teach them? Instill the passion and respect for the ocean
- 33:00 Your favourite species to hunt
- 35:00 How has your conservation mindset evolved over your spearfishing journey?
- 37:15 Wine barrel smoker and smoking fish
- 42:25 You love to cook, walk us through a recipe
- 45:00 Using more of the fish
- 47:20 Sharks as a food source
- 49:10 Do you enjoy more involved hunts? The hunter mindset
- 52:35 Creativity and your journey into underwater photopgraphy
- 01:01:25 How can someone start in underwater photography?
- 01:03:45 Scary stuff
- 01:05:45 Spearo Q&A
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing