Interview with Jamie Ryves
Today’s interview is with Jamie Ryves from Norfolk Island who now lives in Vanuatu! Originally a chef, circumstances meant that work was hard to come by which caused a shift in his lifestyle. He now lives on a smaller island around Vanuatu and goes spearfishing twice a week to support his family! He takes some unbelievable footage, if you have any interest in big game fish like Dogtooth Tuna, this will be your new favourite source of video! Stunning conditions, excellent tips for hunting big Dogtooth and personal stories of Samba’s and Shallow Water Blackouts and how he is a safer diver because of them. Check out one of the most underrated YouTube channels around!
- 00:13 Intro
- 02:50 Hello and welcome Jamie! You are from Norfolk Island?
- 03:55 You live the spearo life and take amazing footage
- 05:25 The currents are a mystery
- 06:05 Where did you grow up?
- 07:50 You are a chef? Are you still cooking?
- 10:05 You are a specialist Dogtooth Tuna hunter! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fijsU8Goxig)
- 13:30 You have an underrated youtube channel
- 15:15 Have you thought about guiding?
- 16:45 What capacity do your charters have currently?
- 19:00 You get a wide range of species, which are your favourite?
- 23:10 Tell us about a good hunt
- 26:25 You were a bodyboarder too, but spearfishing came easier
- 28:55 You use a floatline but you have shot a few with a reelgun! Tell us about your gear for hunting them
- 31:30 What are common Dogtooth hunting problems?
- 38:30 I need to visit you!
- 40:10 PB’s and sharks
- 44:05 How have you studied the sea conditions?
- 46:05 So you have some extreme structure, tall sea mounts and volcanic rock drop off’s
- 47:25 How long do you need to stay there for a good trip?
- 52:20 Freediving in spearfishing: what is your position?
- 58:00 What about scary stories? Samba’s and SWB’s
- 01:09:10 How do you train your buddies to dive safer?
- 01:12:30 Wayne Judge
- 01:16:55 Funny stuff!
- 01:18:25 Funniest friends
- 01:19:55 What gear are you using? Ruku fins, Aimrite wetsuit. 1 spare shaft. 2 reel guns and a double roller from Aimrite. Riffe bungee. Ocean Hunter and Riffe 3 atmosphere floats. Slip-tip spear
- 01:27:05 Spearo Q&A
- 01:34:05 Outro
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing