Interview with Yianni Barthelmess
Today’s interview is with Yianni Barthelmess, multiple recipe contributor and all round frothing spearo from Shellharbour NSW! Drawing from his dad’s love for the ocean, he has really turned his life into an ocean inspired one! A talented chef as well, he has submitted several recipes to 99 Spearo Recipes and has a bunch of catch cook videos on his YouTube and Instagram! Get some actionable gardening tips, practical chef skills and some awesome advice for dealing with sharks! We talk everything from food to gardening for seafood, sharks, shorediving and more! Listen in and let us know what you think!
- 00:13 Intro
- 05:30 Welcome Yianni Barthelmess!
- 07:15 Are you a professional chef?
- 08:40 Growing a lot of food
- 11:55 Rain and fish stocks
- 16:25 How did you start spearfishing at 7?
- 17:55 Traveling and spearfishing
- 19:25 What did you learn about spearfishing in a new place?
- 21:20 How do you find fish?
- 23:50 The need to be efficient
- 24:25 Lessons to spear by
- 26:40 Boat vs shore diving
- 28:55 Walk us through a dive day!
- 31:50 The physiology of spearfishing
- 35:55 Have you logged or cataloged your experiences?
- 38:15 Raw fish is very popular right now but they are hesitant
- 39:30 Raw fish safety precautions
- 40:45 Kingfish raw
- 42:55 Fermenting foods
- 44:35 Tell us about your garden! The Noob Gardener Podcast!
- 45:25 How do you start a garden for seafood?
- 46:15 Be a soil farmer
- 48:10 Fish cleaning bench
- 48:55 Pests
- 53:20 Tell us about your recipes!
- 57:20 99 Spearo Recipes
- 01:00:20 Overcooking fish
- 01:02:35 Smoking fish
- 01:04:00 What else draws you to spearfishing?
- 01:05:45 Encounter with 2 Orcas
- 01:07:20 Scary stories
- 01:09:10 Shore diving and sharks
- 01:10:30 Tips for dealing with sharks for new divers
- 01:21:05 Who are your favourite dive buddies?
- 01:25:10 What’s in your dive bag? 2mm in summer, 5mm in winter Cressi wetsuit, Rob Allen Sparid 110 and homemade timber spearguns, Rob Allen Cubera mask, Cressi plastic fins for shore diving and DiveR fiberglass fins for boats
- 01:29:55 Spearo Q&A
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- Hunt Fish Grow Cook on Instagram
- Huntfishgrowcook on YouTube
- Affiliate products: Kebab Skewers and Meat Thermometer
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing