Interview with Travis Hogan
Manufacturing some of the toughest gear in spearfishing, Travis Hogan from Aimrite Australia gives us a good rundown on DIY speargun modification. He shares a phenomenal personal story about shooting a 250lb marlin from a trailer boat as well as a scary moment 60 miles out to sea. A fellow crew member was bitten (badly) by a reef shark and had to be taken by helicopter into Cairns Hospital. If you like listening and talking about all the facets of spearguns then this will be a great listen for you. We have a targeted discussion about trying and testing spearguns, personal preference/bias, budget considerations, shooting styles, common struggles and mistakes people make with spearguns. Listen in and let us know what you think in the comments below.
Time Stamps for Travis Hogan
03:00 Travis introduction and background starting spearfishing
05:00 Early lessons learned and transferable skills from his military background
10:00 Memorable fish
16:00 Favorite spearfishing hunting technique. Pelagic planning for North Queensland
21:00 Targeting Dogtooth Tuna spearfishing tips
23:00 Toughest situation in the ocean. 6P rules
29:00 Veterans Vault – Speargun modification and maintenance
- Speak to your gun manufacturer before you start speargun modifications (for several reasons)
- Roller speargun modification do’s and dont’s
- Discussion about experimenting with different spearguns and finding what suits you
- Discussion about preference and budget
- Aluminum vs Carbon barrels
- Tips for changing speargun setup
- Orthodox shooting style vs Intuitive shooting style
- Using the right speargun for the right conditions
53:00 Funniest Moment
55:00 Spearfishing divebag
- Aimrite Fins (made by Penetrator)
- Aimrite dive socks
- Aimrite dive suits (made by Yazbeck)
- Rubber weight belt
- Mack dive knives
- Aussie Speargun reels
- 85/105/115 Aimrite roller speargun
- Blue water speargun
- Sportstube and proper travel insurance
- Perspex flashers – Aimrite’s own style
65:00 Spearo Q&A
- If you had to start all over again, what would you do differently?
- Who has been the most influential people in your spearfishing?
- Can you describe what the spearfishing experience means to you in one sentence?
- Where can people come and find you?
Find Travis and Aimrite here;
This Noob Spearo Podcast episode is proudly brought to you in partnership with …
Use the discount code NOOBSPEARO to save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
Massive stocks of spearfishing equipment, the home of cheap shipping and competitive prices. Head to www.spearfishing.com.au.
Support the Noob Spearo Podcast by shopping with our sponsors!
Visit their stores in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney and get advice from a team of more than 40 underwater experts.
Spearing Magazine – the worlds best spearfishing magazine!
Sharing your spearfishing adventures from all corners of the globe! Learn how to contribute here
Some of the best spearfishing photography, stories and deals available anywhere
Check out the subscription deals here (includes digital delivery)
If you are in Australia/New Zealand/South Africa get the entire back catalog for $60USD –
Email [email protected] to get it
Penetrator Fins – Noob Spearo Podcast Partners!
Check out the;