A Journey Beneath from A Journey Beneath on Vimeo.
Interview with Andre Rerekura and Travis Corken
Today’s episode is with Andre Rerekura and Travis Corken (Samuel Rutherford couldn’t make it to the interview) about their new documentary: A Journey Beneath! A great film with some truly awesome visuals and an even better soundtrack, what’s more is that Shrek narrated parts of it! Amazing destinations, memorable fish and the theme of friendship – do yourself a favour and have a watch! Filmed over several years, it documents the travels of lifelong friends Andre and Travis as they go around the world to spearfish in awesome destinations, including an almost fatal incident that only strengthened their bond. A real treat of an experience for spearos, let us know what you thought of the film and let us know what you thought of this episode!
You can watch the film here on Vimeo!
- 01:10 Introduction
- 06:00 Welcome Andre and Travis! You have been through some rough times together
- 07:34 What do you do for work Andre?
- 08:18 Terra Australis and Shark shields
- 10:34 Travis, you are the Australian rep for Neptonics
- 12:41 A Journey Beneath: tell us about it
- 13:25 You asked me to narrate some of it!
- 15:00 Sam was the editor behind this film
- 15:54 New Caledonia spearfishing
- 16:27 Brandon Wahlers, tell us about him
- 17:35 We are all oddballs
- 19:05 Tell us about Panama and Mexico
- 22:41 What are the target species out there? Encountering a big marlin
- 24:05 What are the Mangrove Jack type species down there? Pargo
- 25:24 What sort of coin does one need to drop to go on a trip like that?
- 27:40 What did you do for fitness training?
- 28:26 Being fit makes a big difference
- 29:22 How long have you been doing jiu jitsu?
- 31:37 Tell us about your mate Pete Correale
- 35:19 Tell us about diving in Indonesia
- 35:53 How cold is it?
- 37:15 Learning to become calm in uncomfortable conditions
- 38:26 Conditions for dogtooth tuna
- 40:02 Celebrating a big fish with friends
- 41:37 My favourite part, the Catalina Island kelp forests
- 43:15 This doccy makes me hungry to travel
- 46:11 It was a real honour to be a part of this project
- 47:28 How long did the final cut end up being?
- 48:54 There are a few talented spearos who got into videography (David Ochoa)
- 49:31 Thank you for being on the show!
- 49:54 Outro and Shrek’s closing thoughts
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
Hey guys, is there anywhere we can watch this? It’s not available on Vimeo anymore.
Hey sorry Nick – not sure what happened there. Try this https://vimeo.com/521746051
Hi, the vimeo links to view this documentary aren’t available anymore. Is it available elsewhere? What has happened?
Regards from Portugal,
P.S.: Great job with the podcast 🙂
Hi Paul, mate I think we have it sorted! Try this https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ajourneybeneath