Interview with Chris Adair
Today’s interview is with Chris Adair from Bottom Dwellers Freediving in British Columbia and we talk everything cold water freediving and spearfishing! Depending on who you ask, “cold” water can mean different things, but when we talk about the cold water that Chris deals with, it’s not messing around! Learn some great tips for getting better at diving in sub 10 degree C water, staying warm and comfortable and about some of the awesome initiatives he runs where he partners with First Nations People communities in remote locations and introduces them to spearfishing and freediving! Learn some great tips and how he is giving back to those around him in such an awesome way!
- 00:13 Intro
- 03:45 @DeepWaterDreamin Patrick Ryan voice message
- 06:05 Welcome Chris Adair! How did you get into freediving and spearfishing?
- 07:40 You teach freediving professionally
- 08:25 Bottom Dwellers! We mostly hunt bottom dwelling fish.
- 11:20 Hunting on the bottom is it’s own technique to learn
- 12:45 Tell us about Bottom Dwellers Freediving!
- 15:00 Tide to Table / Freedive Harvesting courses
- 19:05 Foraging in cold water is magical
- 20:30 Diving seasons
- 21:20 You have some great photographers
- 24:30 You have some great community initiatives you run with the First Nations People, tell us about it!
- 29:25 What is day to day life like in these remote communities?
- 32:20 Where can people learn more about the Warrior Leadership program? www.bottomdwellers.ca
- 34:35 The British Columbia Spearfishing Summit
- 36:25 Regulations – how does Canada compare to other countries?
- 40:15 Education is the best way to punish mistakes
- 41:40 Fisheries officers are invited too!
- 45:55 Veteran’s Vault: Cold water freediving and the mammalian dive reflex
- 48:55 Countering the cold
- 52:20 Daniel Mann’s shorts over wetsuit
- 55:55 When do you know when you are getting too cold? When you’re shivering, get out!
- 57:00 PFI Level 1 Requirements
- 58:15 Thick new wetsuits aren’t very flexible! What do you recommend?
- 01:00:20 Cold water struggles: distributing weight! How do you do it?
- 01:02:00 Duck diving is extremely essential!
- 01:04:40 Quick tips for staying warm!
- 01:08:00 Crocs are just a uniform!
- 01:10:30 Funny stories!
- 01:15:00 Hunting and foraging techniques: increasing bottom time and looking in the right places
- 01:16:50 Spearo Q&A
- Your best resource for improving your spearfishing and freediving
- Favourite spearfishing buddy and why
- Describe the spearfishing experience
- 01:19:55 Thank you for being on the show! Where can people find you?
- 01:21:00 Outro
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- The British Columbia Spearfishing Summit
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing