Interview with Brandon Hendrickson
Listen and subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Podbean
Recently Brandon Hendrickson competed in the Roatan World Freeediving Championship and he finished very highly placed. In this interview we talk about deep spearfishing and how to choose both dive buddies and travel companions wisely. In the Veterans Vault section we get into some of the inherent risks of deeper spearfishing, how to manage the risks, the different phases of a longer dive + a few hints and tips about slowly acclimatizing your body for greater depths. Brando is definitely a competitive type of person and so this interview lends well to people that are serious about taking on greater depths in their spearfishing. Listen in!
Time Stamps for Brandon Hendrickson Interview
6:00 Naples, Florida and early beginnings spearfishing
9:00 Spearfishing travel, early trips and adventures + an overview of some of the best destinations for spearfishing
19:00 Obstacles. Freediving, getting comfortable at depth. Mentioned Martin Stepanek
22:00 Early mentors and current influences
25:00 Most embarrassingly memorable fish. An early fish shot on SCUBA using a pneumatic speargun. Harry Hotlips and more
29:00 Favorite spearfishing hunting technique + fine tuning your technique using feedback and reviewing GoPro footage
37:00 Veterans Vault – Deep spearfishing
- Defining deep spearfishing
- Identifying risks and putting some systems in place to manage the risk
- Injuries such as decompression sickness and squeeze
- Acclimatizing to depth
- Surface intervals
- Safety divers
- Using the sink phase
- Conserving oxygen on the return to the surface
- Criteria for choosing good buddies when doing deeper diving
- Deep. Renegade science and what the ocean tells us about ourselves here
Get this book free on Audible including a free 30 day membership
- Pellizari Manual of Freediving here
- Pellizari Dry Training here
- One Breath – Adam Skolnick here
- Blue Water Hunting – Terry Maas here
- 99 Tips To Get Better at Spearfishing here
62:00 Funniest Moment
63:00 Brando’s Dive Bag
- MannySub Spearguns here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $20
- Opencell wetsuit
- Flexible weightbelt
- Brando’s Flasher Brand on Instagram here
- Rob Allen turkey float and flag
70:00 Spearo Q&A
- What is the single best piece of spearfishing advice you have received?
- Single best person to go spearfishing with and why?
- Could you describe what the spearfishing experience means to you in one sentence?
Find Spearo Brando here
- Email [email protected]
- Brando on Facebook here
- Brando on Instagram here
This Noob Spearo Podcast episode is proudly brought to you in partnership with …
Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here!
Use the discount code NOOBSPEARO to save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
Massive stocks of spearfishing equipment, the home of cheap shipping and competitive prices. Head to www.spearfishing.com.au.
Support the Noob Spearo Podcast by shopping with our sponsors!
Visit their stores in Brisbane, Melbourne or Sydney and get advice from a team of more than 40 underwater experts.
Spearing Magazine – the worlds best spearfishing magazine!
Sharing your spearfishing adventures from all corners of the globe! Learn how to contribute here
Some of the best spearfishing photography, stories and deals available anywhere
Check out the subscription deals here (includes digital delivery)
If you are in Australia/New Zealand/South Africa get the entire back catalog for $60USD –
Email [email protected] to get it
Penetrator Fins – Noob Spearo Podcast Partners!
Check out the;
Carbon fins here
Composite spearfishing fins here
Noob Spearo custom designed fins here