Interview with the Central Coast Sealions (x6)
Today’s interview is with 6 of the Central Coast Sealions! Several ex-presidents, the current president and a bunch of super stoked spearos join Cam and Shrek as they chat all things Central Coast diving and how being involved in a club has made a huge difference. Get an window into the inner workings of a spearfishing club from the guys that do it, organising comps to getting noob spearos into the water to being a good boaty, today’s conversation is an interesting one! Tips for diving the headlands, predicting weather conditions, being a good boaty, how to disguise your photos to hide the location and some hilarious stories from the guys who’ve been diving out there. Lots of laughter and some really actionable info, let us know what you think in the comments!
Follow them on Instagram: @CentralCoastSealions and join their Facebook group!
Here is the podcast Shrek mentioned about the fishing lures and the sounds they make.
- 00:13 Intro
- 07:00 Welcome Alistair!
- 08:30 Club social meetings, welcome Andrew!
- 10:10 How many dive days do you get in a year?
- 13:00 Welcome current President Josh! How do you get noob spearos started?
- 16:35 Which lobsters do you get around here?
- 17:10 Welcome Mark!
- 19:30 Becoming a skipper: first time taking divers out
- 23:25 Welcome Dave!
- 26:20 How many days with good viz do you get here?
- 27:55 Central Coast swell
- 29:25 What weather apps are you using?
- 34:55 When the water is dirty, we adapt and do something else
- 36:30 Big white boulders, avoiding the kelp and what to expect on the bottom
- 37:40 Seafood: how good are the Central Coast Sealions?
- 39:25 Abalone
- 42:05 Foraging
- 43:15 Spot burning
- 45:30 How to disguise your pictures
- 49:55 Best stories!
- 55:45 Getting rammed by a shark!
- 01:00:00 How to be a good boaty!
- 01:03:30 Big seals
- 01:07:15 Thanks so much for the chat guys!
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- @CentralCoastSealions on Instagram
- Central Coast Sealions on Facebook
- Central Coast Sealions Info Page
- Episode 30: Lure Rattles. The Truth About What Fish Hear (And Don’t)
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing