The Timber Speargun Build Episode
From concept to shooting fish with Ed Martin from Killshot Spearguns
Download this episode on your iOS or Android APP here
03:30 Ed Martin from Killshot Spearguns Introduction and all about the Florida Keys (his store is in Islamorada).
- Water Temps
- Depths and bottom structure
- Seasonal issues
- Common species
16:00 The rationale behind this Wooden Speargun DIY build episode + Ed Martins spearfishing background and the Killshot Speargun story
23:25 Errol “What are the pros/cons of Wood VS Pipe speargun in your mind?
Duncan Henderson also asks “Why do you choose to work with wooden guns? whats the advantages in your opinion?”
27:50 CONCEPTING AND PLANNING | Making your first speargun advice!
- What are the crucial decisions to make before you start?
- SearchingForTheEdge on the spearfishing Subreddit advised prospective gun builders that the number one key is to build your gun around your spear. Don’t try to build a gun and then later try to find a spear for it. It’s much easier and faster to buy the spear and use it for all the measurements. Is this good advice?
- Sven Franklin “what is the ideal shaft overhang length as this varies from company to company and personal opinion among spearos?”
- Joe Pedro “Enclosed track vs open track, how to decide which is best for certain fish targeting setups?”
- Can we borrow or steal some ideas from the best manufacturers?
48:20 SPEARGUN MATERIALS
- Composite vs Solid one piece?
- Wood types? Mahogany, Sepo, Teak etc
- Glue? Resin? Sealant? Epoxy? What is the difference?
- Making a test gun
- What components should I buy rather than make myself? How do you make these choices? Where is a good place for buying components?
- To safety or not to safety?
- What tools do I require? What tools do I desire? Clamps, jigsaw, dropsaw, mitresaw, cordless drill, gloves, plastic, straight edge, file, masking tape, rubber for relieving clamping pressure, tape measure, belt sander, verniers, small chisel, router, drill press
66:15 How much time does it take to make a speargun?
69:00 Buoyancy and ballast | How do we work this out?
74:40 Daniel Mann “Why is oil a terrible choice to finish a timber speargun?”
79:00 Care and maintenance
80:30 Duncan also asks “What are the common problems with people’s homemade wooden guns?”
92:00 Rubber Powerbands
- How often do you replace them?
- Wishbones – the horror of metal wishbones
- Killshot Spearguns – use the code NOOB to save $30USD on any speargun!
- Ed Martins Blank Speargun Kit on Neptonics
- Killshot Spearguns on Instagram
- Killshot Spearguns on YouTube
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save:)
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation |Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBSPEARO to save!