Interview with Deryck Tan
Today’s interview is with Deryck Tan from WA. An Equine Dental and Veterinary Surgeon by day, mad spearo/gyotaku/cooking seafood chef type dude by… I suppose day too! He is an extremely talented artist specializing in the art of Gyotaku – making fish prints! What started as an interest quickly became an obsession, from experimenting with his first fish to now taking commissions. Have a listen to some of Deryck’s funny stories and lessons he has learned along the way and get some tips to get into doing your own gyotaku! Deryck is also great in the kitchen and is passionate about seafood, in particular the underrated species. Learn about tempra vs tempura, alternative fish species and get some insight into abalone and urchin cooking.
Have you also been inspired to make your own gyotaku? Tag Noob Spearo in your posts, we’d love to see!
- 00:13 Intro
- 04:45 Welcome Deryck!
- 05:40 Tell us about yourself!
- 06:35 Cooking inspiration
- 07:05 Where did your passion for gyotaku come from?
- 10:45 Why are Dhue fish so hard to shoot?
- 12:56 Meeting Bert from Old Man Blue for his cray loop
- 14:20 How did you start spearfishing?
- 16:45 Spearfishing course and diving deeper
- 19:53 What skills did you get out of your spearfishing course?
- 21:42 Tell us about your gyotaku! Tell us about the stamps
- 25:25 Who buys your artwork?
- 27:55 What materials are you using?
- 30:35 How to gyotaku: Thaw and clean fish, pat dry, use scrap rice paper to remove all the moisture especially around the eyes, dilute ink, paint fish with ink but NOT the eyes, get rid of excess ink (use cotton or material), Circle piece of paper to keep the eye protected. Put paper over fish and push it in. Pull it off, add details to the eye, add your stamp.
- 35:45 Difficult to gyotaku: crustaceans. How long do they take?
- 38:00 Do I lose the meat if I gyotaku a fish?
- 39:18 Gyotaku mural
- 40:00 Where do you get your inspiration from? @gyotakunaokistyle and @fishingforgyotaku
- 41:45 Tips for trying gyotaku for the first time
- 42:45 Spangled Emperor and tempra vs tempura
- 43:55 How do you make a tempra sauce?
- 48:55 What do you like to drink with your fish?
- 50:00 99 Spearo Recipes
- 52:20 Urchin/uni
- 57:45 Walk us through the journey of getting and building your speargun
- 01:00:30 Diving in current and caves with a reel
- 01:05:15 What is your favourite species to hunt in your area?
- 01:09:10 Tell us about your zen mode
- 01:09:50 Diving with buddies or alone?
- 01:14:45 Funny stories!
- 01:18:45 What else is in your dive bag? Old Man Blue Cray Loop!
- 01:22:35 Favourite sustainable fish
- 01:25:15 Spearo Q&A
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- Deryck.Gyotaku on YouTube
- @Deryck.Gyotaku on Instagram
- @dinner.with.deryck on Instagram
- Gyotaku by Deryck on Facebook
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing