Interview with Eric Anderson
Mad chat with Eric Anderson focusing on important spearfishing issues in Central California and further afield. Urchin Barrens feature as well as the benefits of having a long term buddy, Great White Sharks, tourniquets, central California diving and species, sketchy shore dives and kelp forests and more. This one was a long time coming and it was an honour to finally have a long chat with Eric. Enjoy!
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
04:00 Eric Anderson Introduction and Background 07:00 Sheep Head Fish Facts 09:00 Abalone | The Gateway Drug to the Spearfishing World 12:45 Urchin Barren Discussion
- What is an Urchin Barren?
- How does an abundance of Sea Urchins effect kelp?
- What factors have been identified as potential causes? warming ocean climate, sea urchin abundance triggers overgrazing, decrease in predation (bony reef fish that predate on them, Lobster numbers,
- Where does this phenomena occur? NE Pacific in the 1960–1970s, Norwegian coast in the 1970s, NW Atlantic in the 1970–1980s , and Tasmania in the 2000s
- What are the wider implications for the areas affected?
23:50 Aiden Brown triggered a story about filleting fish on the boat 26:15 How Eric’s Spearfishing Life Began 30:00 Benefits of having a Longterm Spearfishing Buddy 38:40 Tourniquets and Sharks | Check out this Combat Action Tourniquet
44:50 Night Diving and Shit Viz 53:30 Aiden asks about the importance of diving with a float line 58:20 Shore Diving vs Boat Diving 62:30 Shark Shield Discussion 67:00 Scary Moment | Lessons Learned 69:30 Old Man Blue Spearfishing Equipment 77:00 Funniest Moment out spearing 81:00 Spearo Q&A
Connect With Eric Anderson & Links Mentioned
- Connect with @eric_janderson on Instagram
- Eric on This Ocean Life TV Podcast Interview
- Eric’s interview on Spear Factor Podcast
- Global regime shift dynamics of catastrophic sea urchin overgrazing
- Eric’s Combat Action Tourniquet
- @oldmanbluedive Spearing Gear
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing