Interview with Harry Foster – the Master Chef Spearo
Today’s interview is with Harry Foster, the Masterchef Spearo! Apart from being an exceptional chef, he is also an absolute frother when it comes to spearing and has a passion for connecting the catching to the cooking. Learn some chef skills that every spearo should know, what kitchen utensils you should have and the biggest mistakes spearos make with fish in the kitchen! We’ve included two of the recipes mentioned in the show so you can go have a go yourself!
Whether working as a chef on a remote island or out spearing or even just taking pictures, he has a wealth of knowledge on the natural world and the animals that live around him. His Instagram stories will show you exactly what we mean. We think you will enjoy today’s episode and we hope that you will try the recipes! Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
If you haven’t seen his Instagram page yet, do yourself a favour and go look! Also check out his website for some amazing recipes!
- 01:00 Joe Murphy message
- 02:05 Old Man Blue voicenote
- 04:30 Welcome Harry Foster, how did you begin spearfishing?
- 05:58 Diving in Far North Queensland
- 07:42 How far away are you from the Great Barrier Reef?
- 08:55 The appeal of inshore reefs and bad conditions
- 10:02 What made you a hunter?
- 11:43 Dealing with saltwater crocodiles
- 14:56 Early obstacles
- 16:30 Northern Freediver Facebook group
- 17:56 Spearfishing culture and the reason for the Noob Spearo podcast
- 20:10 Shooting his first footballer
- 22:50 Harry’s spearfishing ethos
- 23:36 How did you get into photography?
- 24:52 Getting great shots
- 27:03 What has been your photography journey and what about Instagram?
- 29:44 Catch cook videos
- 30:50 The trouble with film making
- 32:28 What do you spend your time on?
- 35:21 You’ve accomplished a lot, let’s talk about your chef skills
- 36:00 How did you become a chef?
- 37:26 Connecting the catching with the cooking
- 39:12 How to get great quality fish
- 41:08 What is the process of caring for your catch?
- 44:48 Dry aging
- 46:02 Slurry tips
- 48:20 What to do when you get home
- 51:16 What chef skills that every spearo should learn?
- 52:26 Using the whole animal
- 53:54 Using more of the fish
- 55:30 99 Spearo Recipes
- 56:48 Where to find Harry
- 57:50 Kingfish Ceviche
- 61:54 Octopus preparation
- 65:06 Great advice for cooking
- 35:38 Caring for the catch
- 66:22 My Octopus Teacher (My Octopus Teacher: The Sequel)
- 68:03 What’s in your gear bag?
- 70:00 Funny stuff
- 71:54 First Spanish Mackeral
- 73:25 Spearo Q&A
- Marine tattoos
- Favourite dive buddy
- Spearfishing in one sentance
- 77:52 Thanks and goodbye
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
- Hazfos on Instagram
- Off The Beaten Coast on Youtube
- Off The Beaten Coast on Facebook
- Off The Beaten Coast Website
My Octopus Teacher: The Sequel
- Noob Spearo Facebook Community
- Noob Spearo Instagram
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing