I Dive Alone | The Spearfishing Dilemma
A dilemma is when the two choices in front of you are difficult. If you want to go spearfishing but you don’t have a dive buddy then your choices are; to dive alone or stay home.
One choice involves a higher level of risk but also the possibility of fun, solitude and all the other wonders we experience when spearfishing.
The other; less risk but a missed opportunity to spend the day out in the water.
“Your spearfishing buddy is your only true piece of safety equipment when diving”. This is as close to Gospel truth in spearfishing as it gets, so why dive alone?
This episode is a frank chat about diving alone. Pro’s, Con’s, everything.
Listen to this episode and subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher
MORE on the Spearfishing Dilemma
A dilemma is sometimes described as being stuck between a rock and a hard place. In spearfishing this isn’t just a figurative illustration though, it’s a reality. Especially when chasing crayfish (lobster) or another hole dwelling tasty creature. And caves aren’t the only risk, not by a long shot. Let’s add shallow water blackout, boat/jetski traffic, cramp, current, sharks and all of the other less likely risks to the list. The fact is that having a buddy drastically reduces/mitigates every single one of these risks…
Let’s be honest.
Some spearfishing buddies are so shit you might as well be diving by yourself anyway.
There are other appeals to diving alone despite the greatly increased risk of doing so.
This conversation with experienced spearfisherman Pat Swanson is an open and candid chat about the reality of diving alone.
I’d love to hear your thoughts about it in our spearfishing community on Facebook here.
Mentioned in the show
- Spearfishing Buddy Protocol [BLOG]
- Spearfishing Buddy Protocol [PODCAST]
- Melbourne Live Interviews [EVENT]
Join us at Adreno for an evening with Shrek from Noob Spearo to discover Melbourne spearfishing insights and tips for spearos of all levels with @southernspearfishing legend James Beckmanis!
Also happening on the night:
• Live Q&A session with Club Spearfish President Sven Franklin, Adreno Store Manager Luke Latham, James @southernspearfishing and Shrek
• ’99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing’ book signing
• Light refreshments & snacks
WHERE: Adreno 1184 Nepean Hwy, Cheltenham, Melbourne
WHEN: Saturday 9th November 5PM – 7:30PM
Free on-site parking available!
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world.
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a freediver. Learn the proven strategies competitive freedivers use to strengthen their performance.
Equalization Masterclass. If you are freediver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to Valsalva and hello to Frenzal and make equalizing easy.
Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
Free online courses – How to take a 20-30% bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.